Mandarin fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iceman72

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey folks here some info for you. I just came from CTE Aquatics in Towson, Md and they are selling these fish that eat brine shrimp for $39! I asked if he could feed him and he jacked them up. So I picked one up. Mine is a nice size. Guy says he loves to eat the stuff. I will take pics when I get home.

Hey where are you located? I frequent cte a bunch. That's awesome though that they have ones eating prepared foods

Right now I'm in timonium. I drove down from Hanover, pa.

That would suck. Hopefully he will keep eating it. He's a pretty fish.

I have heard they will almost always eat frozen prawn eggs. I am going to try that and raise some live worms next time I try one. Depending on a natural pod population is too risky.

I just had one stop eating on me. I watched him go crazy at the lfs. Got him home and a week later he quit eating I left him go for about 4 days and finally went and got some pods I have been feeding him them for about three weeks. But he's gonna have to go back because it's just more then I want to do right now

They are a special needs fish IMO. It's almost too bad they are so beautiful. But I am suspecting that there may be some other foods that might get even the most stubborn Mandarine to eat. And I would certainly build the feeder that folks make out of tubing and a old plastic electrical tape container. For such slow feeders, I think it would have a lot of benefit.

Nutramar Ova, lobster eggs, if you can get them seem to be pretty sure fire and loaded with nutrition, which pods aren't, that's why they have to eat thousands of them. It is also far simpler to batch raise baby brine, then gut load them than it is to keep a pod population going, again IMO. Seems most dragonets and even butterflies love them. Same guy that built the Aptaiser, grows worms and baby brine for his Mandarines and they have spawned many times. That's the real guarantee you have a healthy fish.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Nutramar..._Flat_Pack-Nutramar-NM3151-FIFDFZFSFP-vi.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom