Mantis is found

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2revup

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok last night i finally found the Mantis that i have been looking for ages, i even gave a rock that i thought he was in a fresh water dip and i got nothing, i even pocked and prroded nothing. that night click click, being that the tank is in my bedroom this is really getting me pissed off. So i sat up last night and waited and waited and finally found him
he is only about 1.5 cm long he/she is so small.
So the question is, can the mantis still be a treat to breaking my tank, when it is only that small. surely it cant crack 5mm glass.
The other thing i wouldnt mind knowing is what will eat this mantis cause they are so damn fast, i dont wanna pull out the rock its on cause its got some really nice crabs and other life i dont wanna threaten.
traps are useless and as said i dont wanna kill my crabs.

The only thing that i can think of which "might" be able to defeat a mantis shrimp is an octopus. But... an octopus would eat everything in your tank XD

I think your best bet is find out where exact the shrimp is then poke the hole with something sharp to kill it.

He will kill them. Some one posted they used a jar, with some food, sitting up or leaned slightly propped up against the rock. He can get in, but not back out. Open part of the jar toward the surface of the tank....

Some one posted they used a jar, with some food, sitting up or leaned slightly propped up against the rock. He can get in, but not back out. Open part of the jar toward the surface of the tank....

I thought about that crab trap and i think that won't work. Mantis shrimp can swim, unlike crabs

He will kill them.

surely a mantis the size of 1 and half peas isnt going to kill a crab the size of an cd (the middle part where they are clear) its about 4cm+

no i am happy to give it a new home if i can catch it, and belive me i dont think it is going to be a very easy task, its so small.
Although i have been hoping that the crab would eat it, but its been months and still nothing. Owh well

It took me months to catch my mantis and even then it was a fluke. When he got quite large he started venturing out into the open. One day as I walking past the tank I saw him there, reached in and managed to pin him down with a rock. I tried to get him out without hurting him...but I couldnt, which was a real shame. Good luck with yours...in the end it will come down to you having some luck one day. I think as they get larger you will start to see him more often and then your chances will improve.
By the way, mine never killed a fish....he ate snails and stuff. Hopefully yours doesnt do too much damage.

If you really want him out and can find out which rock he's in, a dip in carbonated water really gets them out of the rock quick. I've done it several times. Crab traps will not work for mantis as you pointed out, they can swim just fine.

I understand it has to go one way or ther other if it poses a risk to your other tank inhabitants, but 2revup you're a prince to make an effort to save it-good for you! :fadein:

Maybe your lfs will buy it from you.. some folks do like to keep these. Make no mistake, his "super kung-fu grip" claw can do some real damage to you as well as the tank glass. Be careful..

I would love to keep this little guy if i ever catch him, and put him in his own tank away from the main. I wouldnt mind my own little mantis tank these creatures are crazy. But the mantis has only taken 2 snails and a few small hermits. so I am not worried.

Pull the rock out and dip it in the carbonated water. They usually don't swim out of their holes when they are that small because they are afraid. It's when they get larger that they really get brave. They not only eat snails and hermits but also feather dusters, star fish, and anything they can get their claws on. Which one do you have the ugly brown one or a peacock? Mine was the ugly brown one so I boiled him and the rock! I know its cruel but he was wiping out all the beautifully colored dusters I had and after awhile the cost of snails adds up.

I will take it if you can catch it ... I have the perfect 12gal waiting ready for him! Get to work and catch that bugger and PM me for a nice reward!

I have a nice 15G that he can go in once i get him... mine is not the ugly brown but not the peacock either from what it looks like he is a navy blue. I looked everywhere for the Mantis color and cant find too much that looks the same. (yes i am 110% sure its a mantis) I think he has this colour because he is a baby, he will grow up to be a brown i would say.

Back
Top Bottom