Is this fish TB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nlifs

Aquarium Advice Regular
All,

Here's a picture of a male platy who was previously suspected of having an internal parasite (white stringy poop, lots of shimmies, not eating, etc.).

He unfortunately died last night and I just noticed a crack in the skin on my hand (due to dryness) that has probably been there for a couple of days. This hand was exposed to the water in the aquarium ...

Do you think this fish likely had tb given the spine curvature (and the weird fuzzy white spot on top)? If so, what if any steps should I take now to avoid potential future health issues for myself (e.g. prophylactic antibiotics)? The tank is a secondary concern at the moment ... Reading about fish tb has been scaring me quite a bit ...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Platy pic.jpg
    Platy pic.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 21
The best thing you can do is take the dead fish with you to your DR and have your skin tested as a precaution. Unfortunately, lack of food can create the curved spine as well as the sunken gut so it's hard to confirm definitely which is your case. Even if your fish was eating, the worms would be getting the nutrients from it, not the fish. If you do not still have the fish, I would still contact your DR and explain that you may have been exposed to Fish TB and you need to know what you need to do next.

Back
Top Bottom