Mantis Shrimp in Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigNEMO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just purchased some Clavularia and in the rock that it was encrusted on is a hole with a Mantis Shrimp. It looks to be about 1-2 inches long. How can I get rid of it?

I see in another topic fresh water dips for LR work. But will that hurt coral?

Thanks! :?

Is there a way of dipping the rock the coral is on without submerging the clove polyps? If so, the coral will survive a few minutes out of water. The coral itself should not be dipped in fresh water.

You could also try purchasing a mantis trap and hope...

Cheers
Steve

I didn't get enough to totally submerge the coral so I used a syringe to squirt it in his hole and the darn thing stayed in there! Do I get more seltzer water or is there another trick I can play on him?

Man is he ugly! I think he is only about 1 inch long. :evil:

It's kinda harsh but what about a long metal rod skewer thing and just digging around? Or, depending on rock you could break it with a chisel (carefully of course) at the spot that you saw it and end up with two smaller pieces of coral.

hmmmm

Got Him!

I pulled out the coral and used a pipe cutter to open up the hole. I pulled him out with a needle nose plyers.

Needless to say, they are ugly. He is dead now. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom