Maroon clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xxmxxh1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i have just purchased two maroon baby clowns from my LFS. They have been in the shop together for about 4 weeks they said. They advised they were a pair. One is SLIGHTLY bigger than the other but they are still young. When i took them home and looked in the bag i noticed the little maroon clown had his fins and tails all nipped. I acclimated them to the tank and left them there. Ive noticed that the larger maroon clown comes for the smaler one and the sort of attack each other on the body. Sort of pushh and shove. The smaller one fights back and then the big one backs off. Then shortly after the big one will come for it and the same thing will happen again.. I dont understand why they are fighting. Are they stressed ? Or will they sort them selves out? The dont always fight they somes times stay together but when they seperate and meet again then they fight... Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated. I thoigh they were paired and dont understand why they fighting. This is the first day they been in the tank

Giv the clowns some time to get used to the tank and its surrounding. When you see 2 clowns together in ur LFS it really doesn't mean they a pair specially if they both small clowns. I've got 2 percular clowns (as seen on my profile pic) and they some times fight aswel but its mainly the bigger 1 that starts it lol I think your maroon clowns are slowly going to become a pair but just keep in mind that maroons are aggressive clowns they will fight at times. It normally takes clowns already a couple of months to become a pair just keep your eye on them. If 1 of your clown grabs the other clowns fin a couple of time that mean they are actually fighting and you'll have to take it out for a day and put it bk in. I would suggest u put 1 in a breeding basket and let the other clown see him more. That's what I did :)

Mine did the same for about three weeks and now they are side by side most of the time. The bigger one would nip the little ones tail. Now all my fish seem to get along even with my Damsel.

image-2178062478.jpg

Does anyone know how long it takes for maroon clowns to pair

Mine have been together for just over a month and I still get some nipping from the bigger one. Is the smaller one shacking its whole body when it's rushed at? That's a good sign that they are pairing. Jaw locking and tearing fins completely off, are bad signs. Hope this helps.

They sleep together and chill together sometimes. But when they fight the big one comes for the smLler one but attacks its body only no fin pullin or mouth locking whatsoever.

The small one has fins tearead and i was wondering does any one know how they heal. The big one must have been attacking it while it was in the bag but since they been in the tankit doesnt attackk the fins

Xxmxxh1 said:
The small one has fins tearead and i was wondering does any one know how they heal. The big one must have been attacking it while it was in the bag but since they been in the tankit doesnt attackk the fins

They will just grow back... No big deal.

My clowns fins have stated to grow back now. It takes a while thou.

Guess whati just saw them and they been chillin together all day but when the big one attcks it now the little one shakes a little

That's a good sign. Sounds like they are getting there.

I got mine in June and they've already laid eggs , don't know what I'm going to do with the one that survive .

Nice, Iv heard they are hard to keep alive. I hope all goes well for you.

Yeah hopefully theyve been mindidn their own business today andare getting alongnot fightin as much and after they have paired properly and my tank is a little established im gna gt them a red or green bubble tip anemone :)

I'm glad to hear, it's not nice watching them fight is it. I. Iv Got a green bubble tip, I think they look amazing.

Attachments

• image-1042133399.jpg
    image-1042133399.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 87
I know i just want my small one to heal.. That green anemone looks awesome. Any tips on properly caring for one

Xxmxxh1 said:
I know i just want my small one to heal.. That green anemone looks awesome. Any tips on properly caring for one

Great lighting and well established tank.

As long as he's eating, he should be fine. As for the anemone, Just make sure you water quality is good and stable, iv got mine under a 250w halide but my dad has got a rose bubble tip under quad t5's and its doing fine. Feeding wise, I was giving it a small piece of mussel chopped up once a week but iv stopped doing that now, I found that my clownfish feed it when I feed them which is pretty cool to watch.

Back
Top Bottom