MH Ballest Questions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
How many different kind of MH ballast are there for aquariums, and how do they differ??

Pros, Cons, Good & Bad.....??

TIA!! :wink:

Go w/ an electronic ballast- They run cooler, use less energy, generally, and you can use SE, or DE bulbs if you wish later on for some more UV/intensity.

From what I understand the tar / magnetic ballasts also can run very hot and even noisey. My electronic ballast is never more than warm and dead quiet too. I was going to buy from captivereefs, but found a vendor only 15mi from my home and I thought that would be best in case I needed to return anything, etc. Very good deal, it was recommended to me by a local reefer. BTW, you will not look back once you get MH, the clarity and shimmer is amazing. Here's the link:
http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2..._Code=OE&Product_Code=E2R&Category_Code=EVMHR

Another vote for Electronic ballast. I have 2x250 Coralvue's and got a corlavue 400w from Darin a few months back that isn't hooked up yet.

Back
Top Bottom