MH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrWrasse

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was walking through Lowes the other day and noticed they carry MH lights. Now is it possible to use a ballast that they sell, and modify it for aquarium use? Would the bulbs they sell be of any use in a marine aquarium? I read the bulb packages, but of course they say nothing about the spectrum. Also I was wondering if mercury or sodium lights are of any use. I figure none of these would work, but every dollar you can save means more for the next tank. :D

MrWrasse said:
I Now is it possible to use a ballast that they sell, and modify it for aquarium use?

Possibly, but I would bet you can find a better ballast for less $$ online.

Would the bulbs they sell be of any use in a marine aquarium?
No, the color temp will be too low...you won't like the way they look on a tank.

Also I was wondering if mercury or sodium lights are of any use. I figure none of these would work, but every dollar you can save means more for the next tank. :D

These lights won't work either. They aren't the right color. The only exception would be the Iwasaki 6500k bulbs which, if I remember correctly, will run on a MV ballast. They are not cheap though.

Also I was wondering if mercury or sodium lights are of any use

Actually, I think Bang Guy runs a MV setup for his tank. If you are interested, PM him.

I agree with Logan on the rest of the points.

You can use an MV ballast to fire the Iwasaki 6500s but MV bulbs are the wrong spectrum. Unless he has changed, Bang Guy uses VHO in his set up.

I use VHO on my display tank (soon to be HQI). I do have a MV setup on the lagoon but they are Iwasaki bulbs. They are the only MV bulb I know of that puts out the 6500K color.

Bang

Back
Top Bottom