my coral is closed up - any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

etoja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this guy from lfs and they didn't provide me with the name... It partially closed up few days ago, and I am not sure what the problem is. Water checked out OK ammonia/nitrites/nitrate = 0. The only things I have done to a tank is added more live rock and installed more powerful lights (marineland led coral capable).

I also noticed that there is something growing on one of the rocks - it was already there when I brought the rock, but has gotten bigger in a week. Pictured are attached. Any ideas???

Attachments

• image-2094779388.jpg
    image-2094779388.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 125
  • image-3954327730.jpg
    image-3954327730.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 125
I am not sure I can move them down - they are sitting on top of the hood. The new light are MUCH more powerful then the old one. I used to have one 15W T8 tube, which was also very old. Could it be too much light???

Sorry I meant move the Zoa's (look like zoa's) to the bottom of the tank away from the direct light and see if they acclamate better. If you had an old T8 and went right to LED they could be freaking out. I think it's called light shock.

oh I see, I will try that... It makes sense, totally. I hope I didn't kill it (or part of it) Maybe I will move to the bottom and in shade for some time.

Which light did you get exactly, and what size/depth tank is it? Everything I have read on those Marineland LEDs is that the PAR is abysmal... it could be a lack of light as opposed to too much light...

The picture on the right looks like a Palythoa to me.

As fort384, technical reviews on the Marineland "Reef Capable" LEDs indicate they really aren't (reef capable). I did see a tank with TWO of those units on it in That Fish Place that looked to be sustaining / growing some LPS, shrooms and zoas.

That aside, I have to think they are brighter than an old 15W T8 bulb. Zoas are a little finnicky IME when it comes to almost any change. You could try screening the new light (place a screen under the light to dim it). If they were established, I'd bet they open back up in a couple of days. If they are new, you might try relocating them to an area with more or less flow.

I moved the coral to the bottom an a bit in shade. I doubt that it it caused by lack of light since it did OK under T8 15w. I hope this will help and he will open back up.

I know Marineland LEDs are lousy lights - it wasn't very smart investment on my side. I will have to supplement it later, but for now I am going with more or less hardy corals anyways, since I am the beginner.

Is it possible for Palethoa to grow on top of zoas? I see two Paly looking buds on my closed up zoa. I know Palethoas are toxic. Can it be choking my zoa?

ps here is the picture..

Attachments

• image-3417862158.jpg
    image-3417862158.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 84
Both palythoa and zoanthids are toxic. I suppose it's possible there is some chemical warfare going on, but my bet is they are getting used to new lights. (was this colony already established in your tank?)

Zoanthids were there for couple of weeks prior two me adding 1) more live rock(with what looked like Palythoa on one of the rocks, which I only noticed after putting rocks in the tank) and 2) adding new lights few days after live rock. Thats when they started to close up. Palythoas (if that's what they are) are growing bigger every day. Are they the fast growing kind?

paly's can be really fast growers. I started with about 4 polyps last year and now have like 100. lol

given the fact that some are poking out and it doesn't look like they are dying I think they'll be fine, just give them a few days and they'll probably open back up...

Back
Top Bottom