My Lighting Upgrade Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schulze

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I have a 20 gallon tall with a 65W coralife 50/50 CF fixture on it right now. It is also currently FOWLR. I want to upgrade my lighting and build a canopy so that I can develope a nice reef. These are my options and wanted you all thinkI should do (and if the second option is safe :twisted: )

1)Replace light with 150W 14k MH (cost around $175).

2) Rip CF out of its fixture and retro fit it into a canopy and:
a) Add 2x24 W t5 retrofit (gives me 113W total) (cost around $80)
b) Add 65W CF retrofit (gives me 130W total) (cost around $60-$80 ? )

If I go with 2)A) what should be my setup (10K for t5s and blue for CF, vise versa, or one 10k t5, one blue t5, and one 50/50 CF?

It sounds like T5 are alot better so im guessing that would be my best bet. The MH seems a little high in wattage, and I share an appartment so heat can be an issue.

Thanks for the help :D

...I like option A, more light for about the same $ actually option A (if my quick mental math is right) is cheaper, as option B would be over $200 about $220....(plus tax)
anyways, I think the MH is better anyways :D
just my opinion :wink:

Are you interested in keeping sps corals and clams? Or only soft corals and LPS? Unless you want to do a heavy SPS tank or want Clams, I don't see a reason you need MH lights.

A 20 tall will require more intense lighting to penetrate the depth. I like the idea of a single 175 MH pendant. You could do just fine with a 150 MH and actinic suppliments.

Personal prefernce. 14K alone will likely be "blue" enough for most eyes. If you decide to not use actinics, I would look for 14-20K MH lamps. I have 14Ks on my large reef and still prefer the actinics with it.

Back
Top Bottom