Need advice before I buy. JBJ 28g Nano Cube CF-Quad vs Intermediate LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfsblood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
While I would like to start with plain glass tank and customize it myself I live in a 1 bedroom apartment so space is limited. I have only found 1 tank other than an AIO with the proper dimensions for the area I have. I am looking at the JBJ Nano Cube tanks because Drs Foster and Smith have a good deal that comes with a free stand. I am having a hard time deciding between the CF-Quad model and the Intermediate LED. CF-Quad is 105W PC and LED is 27W(25 1Ws and 4 0.5w moonlights.) I plan on keeping soft corals and LPS only(Zoas, Rics, GSP, Hammer, Duncan, Chalice, Plate, Brain, Kenya tree are what I am planning on). No SPS. I figure the price difference between the 2 will be equal after the first bulb change on the CF-Quad. My question is which one of these lights will be more capable of supporting the corals I want to keep? I know the Marineland fixtures use 1W LEDs and they are garbage. Is it the same deal with the nano cube led? I know the advanced LED kit would be great but there is no way I can afford it. I am not willing to get the HQI version because I can't afford the cost of a chiller or the extra power to operate it(I live in hot So Cali so it would be a necessity). I am not willing to remove the hood to run a custom fixture. The only thing I may be willing to do is get the CF-Quad and do the Rapidled retrofit about a year from now but I'd rather not. Which kit would you buy and why? Please help this is a big purchase for me. Thanks!

Links to the tanks:
CF-Quad: http://www.drsfoster...83&pcatid=21183
LED: http://www.drsfoster...fm?pcatid=23535

During the early stage of your reef tank, the lighting is not that critical. If fact during cycling which may take at least 2 weeks you do not need it. If you choose the CF-Quad you will need to change the bulbs after about 6 months. If you decide on LED model it will be useless on corals. However, it will take about 6 months before your tank is ready for corals and that's when you upgrade your lighting fixture. I would pick the LED model just to save power and less heat while the fish can't complain.

Thanks. I have had a couple reef tanks in the past but that was when I had more space. So you are saying the led intermediate model won't support coral?

Back
Top Bottom