need advice on heating & lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just converted from freshwater to saltwater. I have a 75 gal tank with 90 lbs of LR and 100 lbs of LS. The tank has an overflow built in which flows into a Amiracle wet/dry filter with the pump in it is a Rio3100. I also have a Surge600 in the tank for extra water movement. My questions are:
1- can I relocate my heater which is a Eb0-Jager model TS to the overflow to clear up the back of the tank? if I do, will it still heat the quick flowing water in the overflow?
2- will (till I get More $) a coral sun 36" actinic 420 lamp and a Corallife 6500K T12 lamp work for the time being. All I have in the tank now are 6 hermits and 2 damsels.

1- can I relocate my heater which is a Eb0-Jager model TS to the overflow to clear up the back of the tank? if I do, will it still heat the quick flowing water in the overflow?

Move it to the Wet/Dry, if it won't fit in the wet/dry it should be OK in the overflow. I would also recommend you get rid of the bioballs in the wet/dry. The LR is more than adequate for your biological needs and has the added benefit of reducing nitrates, where the biomedia in the wet/dry will produce nitrates.

2- will (till I get More $) a coral sun 36" actinic 420 lamp and a Corallife 6500K T12 lamp work for the time being. All I have in the tank now are 6 hermits and 2 damsels.

You are liable to lose some coralline algae growth on the LR, but yes it will work temporarily.

If I do remove the bio-balls what then is the purpose of the ex-wet/dry? Just a water mover? also, do I remove the filter material also?

Okay, I have removed all the bio-balls and the filter fabric sheet, the heater has a min water level line, I presume it is okay to lay it horizontal in the ex-wet/dry(sump). True? Also, the Surge600 is behind a curved LR and covered by another LR, is that OK or should it be exposed? Sorry about the simple little questions but want to get it right. There is soooo much info on this site it makes you dizzy.

Thanks for your help.

the heater has a min water level line, I presume it is okay to lay it horizontal in the ex-wet/dry(sump).

Yep, provided ofcourse it is a submersible heater :wink:

the Surge600 is behind a curved LR and covered by another LR, is that OK or should it be exposed?

If it provides good waterflow to the rest of the tank as it is positioned now....it's fine. I would caution though powerheads need servicing from time to time and it sounds like yours may be a pain to get to for servicing. If it is easy to get to and you don't envision putting corals and other stuff on the rocks adjacent, it'll be OK.

Sorry about the simple little questions but want to get it right.

Not a problem, that is what this site is for.

Back
Top Bottom