Need advice on saltwater fish/tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2fishtanks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first ever salt water tank and I'm so excited. Just bought a 75 gallon tank today with a big canister filter. Wondering which route I should go next. Reef tank? Or just stick with fish?

first you will need to add sand and live rock so you can begin your cycle
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
while your cycling you need to decide what type of fish you like
as there are both not reef safe fish and reef safe fish.
if deciding on a reef be sure you get a light capable of supporting coral
most important part is to take it slow not to overload the new tank with fish all at once.
I wouldn't recommend a canister with a reef as they are considered nitrate traps.

Last edited:
Reef tanks are more expensive to keep and the lighting will be most likely your biggest cost. You can do a tank that large with a canister filter but you will probably want to get a hang on the back refugium . Do your research and please ready up on cycling your tank. Don't put anything in there you don't love even coral can be difficult to get out if it takes over your tank.

Do lots of research before you jump in. Best advice I ever got. I would do HOB filters before a canister. Much easier to maintain and clean. I HAVE A 55g with all hob equipment. With good husbandry you can be successful either way. If you can I would recommend having the tank drilled and install a sump system
IMG_4317.jpg. My 2 yer old 55 [emoji2]

Back
Top Bottom