new 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's also my next otuchase for my new 20g. I need some flat rock. i have plenty of nooks and crannies to put plugs but if I wanted a larger specimen I'll need some flat areas too. May just get some local live rock or ask John at reefcleaners if he can hook me up. I only need like 10lbs max, I;m already a bit rock full on the new tank.

Went ahead and had my water tested it was as follows

Ammonia -0
Nitrate -0
Nitrite -.15
Salinity -.023

So I think I am going to do one final water change tomorrow and start adding fish and corals tomorrow or Saturday

So for those who r not fans of a UV what can I do to help my tank reach that next level of amazing to wow everyone

LOL, I;m waiting for fedex to bring me a new fish and some corals. Should be just a half hour now.....The waiting kills me too

Got my current fixture today it looks amazing I just need to change out the hqi to 20000k from 10000k

A current with 2 250watt hqi's and 2 130watt attinic's went big on everything I want a mixed reef with a lot of good color

Ok so I found an old overflow box I forgot I had just sitting around and I was thinking that I might put it on the 55 but it is a big one not to sure or gallons but it has two 1 1/2 inch supplies on it i was wondering if you think it might be to much :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Okay so I just got home from my LFS and I got the best power head that will help my 55 be an awesome reef 250 bucks later I left with a vortech mp10

carey said:
make sure you leave some space for corals too! And some nooks and crannies for the fish you buy to hide and play.

there is no "set" rule as to how much live rock so when you think youre tank is good then youre set. There are "recommendations" of 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon but it's just a guide line in my book, you have enough rock when you think you have enough rock. I stopped at 200lbs or so in my 125 cause thats where Ithink it looks best and is most functional. I could add another 50lbs easy but I think THAT would be too much. I have lots of porous rock too so pods and other creepies have places to live and multiply. Plus i need alot of surface space for my corals too. :-D

More rock,more biological filtration equals 0 nitrates.IMO two lbs per actual gallon is best.

All I could afford was an mp10 I wish it was a 40 but the mp10 was 250 already and the wife would of killed me if I got the 40 at 400 bucks lol

Lol I totally understand that. I'm saving little by little so mine don't notice the cost haha.

Well I just went an picked out some coral for the reef yay getting them ready to go in now will have pics soon

Back
Top Bottom