New DSB..no pods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had cc and have changed over to a 4inch DSB 1 week ago. I had about 45lbs of LR in my 55gal before making the switch and have moved over all the rock on top of the DSB. I have a couple of questions

1) Should I be seeing pods moving in the sand or does this take awhile to establish
2) would all of the pods have been in my cc and when I took it out so went the pods?
3) do I need to seed the sand bed with pods? what is the best way?

Thanx for the help :)

If you don't see PODs in the next 3 weeks I would buy a POD kit from inlandaquatics. For best results make yourself a couple of LR rubble areas and they will multiply like rabbits.

Regardless of whether you had LR, I would purchase a detrivore kit. IMO, this is one of the biggest reasons why some people are having problems with their sandbeds....because they fail to establish and maintain a healthy population of infauna.

Try this link...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2383639922

I got a kit from IPSF and Inland Aquatics last year. I picked up the eBay kit from Bob yesterday (I drove down to Philly to meet him).

The kit from eBay includes a pod pile, Literally!. He includes a couple of pounds of pod filled rubble as well as 2 pounds of LS with a bunch of pods, worms, etc.

I am very happy with this kit.

I'll post the pics soon. Check my gallery after midnight tonight.

Thanx for the advice. I think I will check out the ebay kit.

Brisco... what do you mean by LR rubble area??

where are the pods?

I did almost exactly what you describe about 2 months ago. In my case, I was able to see pods on the sand surface almost immediately after putting the LR back on top.

Check with a flashlight after the lights go out...they are often shy during the day.

what do you mean by LR rubble area??
Take a look at this picture from my gallery. This is the pod pile from the eBay detrivore kit.

What are POD's? What are they supposed to do?

They eat stuff in the sand bed, feed fish, are generally quite beneficial to the marine system.

Copepod & Amphipod Profiles

Amphipods crustaceans are peracarid crustaceans, typically ranging in size from 2 to 50 mm, although a few may be larger. Amphipods are common in aquatic ecosystems throughout many parts of the world, inhabiting marine, brackish, and freshwater environments. A few species also live in terrestrial ecosystems. The order Amphipoda, which contains nearly 7,000 described species, is divided into three and sometimes four suborders: Gammaridea, Caprellidea, Hyperiidea, and Ingolfiellidea. The latter, however, are probably highly specialized gammarideans and therefore do not merit recognition as a suborder.

Wow that's some good looking stuff. :D Wished I lived close enough to get some of that. :roll: I don't have an ebay account so I can't gt it off ebay. Just never got around to setting one up.

justmy2cents.. setting up the ebay account should not discourage you. It take about 2 minutes and you are good to go.

justmy2cents.. setting up the ebay account should not discourage you. It take about 2 minutes and you are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom