New Fish OK for coral??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a friend that is going to give us 3 free fish!? Its a Cowfish, puffer, and a cucumber. Are these coral safe? I'm not sure what kind of puffer fish it is, and the cucumber is long and black. Just wondering if this could be anything good for my tank? We currently have a Naso Tang, Clown, Key-hole angel fish, feather duster, frogspawn, toadstool, and a few others. Please let me know if these fish will work before I take them and they mess up my tank!!!

If you could, please e-mail me the replys.

edited to remove e-mail adress, link added instead. steve-s

i have heard that the cowfish could poison the tank if they get stressed so that is probably not a good idea. The puffer is more agressive and will eat the invertebrates and maybe some corals. I have also heard that the cucumber can release poison if it dies and a mojor water change would have to be done. i would stay away from the cucumber for any tank and if you were going to accept the other ones i would put them in a fish only tank.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the cowfish. My concern would be that there is enough macro algae that they could graze on. Other than that they are very peaceful fish. The puffer may cause him a little stress though. And as aforementioned, puffers generally are not reef safe. Cucumbers, I hear are heard to keep because they tend to starve to death after they eat all of the food sources in the tank. Someone with more experience could probably offer better advice there... How big is your tank? All three of those need quite a bit of room...

The cowfish would be the best choice of the three. Puffers are not reefsafe, as they constantly wear down their teeth on rock. Makes a real good mess. The cuke, as stated is hard to keep, but according to your experience level, make a nice addition to a well established tank.

:hat:

The viability of the cuke will depend greatly on what kind it is. Some cukes are filter feeders, depending greatly on supplemental live plankton feeding. Others, such as the Tigertail cuke are sand sifters, and require a DSB to thrive.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom