New Liverock Arrived: Fully Loaded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
I now got a total of #40 gulf, #40 keys, and #60 base in my 110.

Just got #40 of gulf rock from liverocks.com and it's really good rock, with tons of life. I think I counted a least 5 mini-stars and a ton of other I-don't-know-what-it-is-but-it-looks-cool. I did find some aiptasia, but that's to be expected with rock so rich in life. Rock has some nice pink/reds that glow great under actinics.

The gulf rock has tons of life but I think I like the keys rock a little bit better overall due to its shape/size.

I don't have any good pictures of the rock, but I wanted to get some advice on the layout. Is it too crowded on the right side? Does it need more water/breathing room? Any other layout tips?

My apologies for the pictures. I have a pod/worm explosion blessing/curse and so it's hard to see into the tank (unclear both on the glass and inside). I would have cleaned it but didn't want any more of an ammonia spike than what I would get by adding the rock. Pods seem to just reoccupy whatever I clean within minutes anyways.

wholetank.JPG

rightside1.JPG

rightside%202.JPG

Geez NS, you got a serious pod population there! My blenny would be in heaven! I cant even get that many pods going in my sump. I guess the lack of fish in the tank is helping that a lot.

Your rock setup looks good cool, but make sure those rocks are stable. Dont want them falling and squashing stuff. Especially once you get into corals.

I got 40 lbs of Keys yesterdfay from Liverocks as well. The rock is pretty nice, and heavily laden with brittle stars. I found 9 of them (2 were in pieces, may not live) and one of them was over 8 inches tip to tip! Since the only other star I have is a monster of a serpent (who will rush to me when he sees me and take food out of my hand, its cool!) all of them when into my 180 for cleanup.

I inspected every rock for mantis, but found none, little buggers are probably hiding really good. Had a couple of sponges, a small amount of macro algae growth, and a couple of encrusted clams. Worms and crabs galore, I swear the most fun is unpacking the box!

YOur rock work looks great. My only concern would be to verfiy the left side is satable.

Aquascaping looks great! I have never ordered from liverocks.com but will get my next batch of LR from them after hearing all of the great responses. I made two mini-reefs in my 72 gal. (see gallery). It seems to have kept some aggression down. My purple tang and one royal gramma hang out in one reef and the others in the other one. Very little fighting for territory. Keep those pics coming!

Its great stuff. I recieved 40lbs on Tuesday with similar life. Agree about the Mantis, either we were lucky, or they are hiding real good. 8O
Considering ordering a little more this weekend (if the wife agrees :mrgreen: )

Thanks all. It looks really really unstable but the odd thing is that it's quite stable; I didn't even have to use glue.

Worms and crabs galore, I swear the most fun is unpacking the box
Agreed.

I didn't even do a dip or really inspect the rock too much, I figured I would do more harm trying to remove anything. I havn't heard any mantis shrimp yet, but I do hear what I think to be pistol shrimp (pops arn't multiple).

Back
Top Bottom