New tube anemone! General Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shirtlessbill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got some more fish and pieces for my tank including a tube anemone. I wanted to open up a discussion for proper practices with this beautiful creature.

ph: 8.2
SG: 1.025
Temp: 77
Nitrates: 0
6 month old tank

The specimen seemed very healthy when I got him from my lfs. I had them demonstrate to me on how to feed it and it ate up all that was thrown at it. I did a trickle acclimation for an hour. My first question is what would proper flow be? In the store it had put itself behind a rock and seemed to have minimal flow. I'm not sure if I have any spot in my tank like that. I dug a trench at the foot of a rock and covered his foot in it.

He seems to have his tentacles at full extension and they are "waving" in the current. I have two power heads pushing 1400 gph both of which are at the top of the tank (75g). Will this be ok?

Also, any and all advice are welcome on keeping this specimen.

Attachments

• image-3566176909.jpg
    image-3566176909.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 134
  • image-3382811088.jpg
    image-3382811088.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 119
  • image-3841167556.jpg
    image-3841167556.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 165
The tube anemone went inside its tube and came out the other end a few hours later. It appears to have become really comfortable in my tank. It's extension seems much larger! :)

Attachments

• image-354475935.jpg
    image-354475935.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 126
  • image-2084810812.jpg
    image-2084810812.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 114
Does anyone know proper care for these guys? I want to give it a good and stable home.

Also is it normal for it to extend its tube above the sandbed? It did that tonight and seems extremely happy but I wanted to make sure

This wasn't intended to be a "show off thread" (although I love this guy) however I like taking pics of it ;)

Attachments

• image-3072155135.jpg
    image-3072155135.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 115
Beautiful. Just keep parameters stable and since they are generally filter feeders they need frequent small feedings. Some shrimp pellets or krill a few times a week will be okay, but feeding more often is better. They like moderate flow.

Beautiful. Just keep parameters stable and since they are generally filter feeders they need frequent small feedings. Some shrimp pellets or krill a few times a week will be okay, but feeding more often is better. They like moderate flow.

Thanks. Perfect I'm doing little feedings of a variety if meaty meals every other day. Thanks for the tips

Ok, so I like to mix up my power heads every once in a while because I don't have a wave maker. I pointed them at each other from across the tank to create some random current and it seems like my tube anemone is right where they converge.

What I'm wondering is if its still an ok amount of current. Also, is a tube anemone like a BTA where it will move itself if it is unhappy?

Here's a video: http://youtu.be/vgDPCEMRf_U

Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom