Next best thing to Liverock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just out of curiosity... what is the next best filtration system after liverock? Just want to look at all my options.

Thanks,

-Maximo

You'll probably need more info.

65g FO for now but I would like to get some corals when the tank is established. I have 2x96 PC lighting.

Thanks,

-Maximo

Live sand. and a good skimmer should be used in conjunction with live rock. If you remove the rock then you must put something in to provide cover. So why not use live rock so it has a more natural look. If cost is the issue then you can use dry base rock and it will become live over time. Just stock slowly.

If you did a Deep Sand Bed you could also do a wet/dry. The nitrafication of the sand bed should counter act the nitrate producing properties of the wet/dry.

As long as you keep up with maintenance you could use any filtration system out there. Canister, wet/dry... it's all just surface area for bacteria. The appeal of LR goes beyond just filtration though.

when using mechanical filters you have to be really good about cleaning the sponges several times a week. that's supposed to help keep nitrates down.

honestly, I'd get as much LR as you can afford, and then use base rock, and just stock slowly.

I think Atari hit itright on the head. IMO Bacteria is bacteria and will grow on ceramic tubes, bioballs or sand. A lot of filtration suggestions depend on the forum and the geographical location. When i lived in England, it was all Berlin skimmer and Ehiem filters (and i kept a good FO tank). America seems to be all dsb + live rock and Aqua - C skimmers (I have the dsb+ lr, remora coming soon!) and my attempt at a reef is coming along nicley.
However, the second set up looks great, the rock and sand combined with some nice fish and a couple corals really looks as if i reached into the ocean and picked up a piece of it! Other filters work as well, but for looks and stunning natural beauty, I would really recommend the dsb/lr skimmer set up!

But that is just my opinion :D

on my 150 reef i have a DSB + Plinum, LR, skimmer, and Hang on the back CPR overflow/sump. my sump has a cheap $5 clamp light on it and is filled with cheato (a type of macro algae that lives off of nitrates). all of these things working together keep my water quality perfect.
good luck,
Mermaid

Back
Top Bottom