Ok, so I changed brands of Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I decided to change brands of salt after using IO exclusively from the beginning. I started to notice inconsistancies in the mix with IO, so I chose to go with Tropic Marin. Problem is, I mixed the salt in a 5 gal container of RO water, and after about 12 hours now, the water is at the correct salinity, temp and what not, but the water is cloudy.. I cannot see through it. When first mixed, it was crystal clear. Now it is almost as if I put a table spoon of flour in there and shook it up... I had the same issue once before, with IO also, but I threw it away for fear that it may hurt something.. Has anyone had this problem before? It is a little un-nerving for me..

the bucket your using doesn't get used for anything else does it?

I haven't used IO yet myself (but was considering changing when my current supply runs out) I use Crystal Reef (i think thats the name) and never have a problem with cloudyness except when the salt first goes in, but that dissappears in a matter of seconds...

timbo i switched from io to tropic marin a few months back and have crystal clear water once it it has been mixed with a power head :?:

There are several reasons it might cloud, my first thought is a preciptiation event, either the mag or the CA. Test it for CA, Mag and ALK. If the levels are in order...I wouldn't worry to much about using it, once it mixes with the tank water, you should be fine ;)

Oh yeah, one of the things that causes this is moisture in the salt. I am very careful when picking my salt that the salt is dry and the bag doesn't have any pinholes in it, this is particularly important in FL or other humid climates, once the salt is open I throw in a mesh bag od white rice to fight any moisture that might get to the salt. This is the reason it is always recommended to add the salt to the water, not vise versa ;)

I did not test for the composition yet, I am at work, when I get home, I can test the normal tests I have...I do not have a mag test yet, in the future maybe, but I do have a ca test.. will test the alk and ca tonight....This should be ok, but, you never know...IO was until recently..I will be back in a couple hours..

Ok, The test results are in:

PH = 8.2
Salinity = 1.023
Ca = 350
Alk = 240
NO3 = 0
PO4 = 0
Temp = 79*

Water still cloudy. PH running on full and feel no grit on the bottom... Hmm I guess from the tests, ok to use...In the large amount of volume, it will mix well prolly with the tank... :?

I read some where... in Dr. Burgess's Atlas I think, that poor ionic
balance in the water sometimes caused by poor water quality and
the DI part of the RODI process will cause the precipitation of Ca,
but then it should settle after a day or so, I would think. Is this stuff
remaining in suspension?
I have had similar experiences when buying RO from some LFS that
"overdrive" their RODI units :?

Back
Top Bottom