Old water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
to make things esier on my dad I'm planning on putting prepared saltwater in gallon jugs. How long will the water stay good?

Good question>>>>> I make it in a 35 gal can with a heater and PH and I keep it for 2 months at a time with no problems. They sell sea water in jugs at the LFS so i would say it should last some time.

I also have been able to keep mixed water for at least two months. I just keep it closed in 5 gallon buckets with gasketed lids. The night before I use it, I will bring it upto temp and mix it good for 12-24 hours. I have had no troubles with this setup as of yet.

Bob Fenner says in his book that you should "age" your saltwater mix for 1-2 weeks before putting it into the tank anyway if at all possible.

Mike

Keep mine outside in 5 x 5Gal (Home Depot orange..Booya!) with lids on. All 5 stay out all month so I keep roughly 25 Gal a month at a time. However, its topoff only, I dont mix it until I need it.

GL

It should keep indefinitely if it is in a dark cool area with a tight fitting lid and is being constantly circulated.

Back
Top Bottom