Is there any easy way to do WC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there any easy way to do WC? I use a bucket for draining out the water, then I use my jug of 2 gallon water for my betta fish tank. For my 40 gallon I have to fill up empty gallon jug of water to do a WC. I seen on amazon where a person can fill up their tank with the hose attached to the sink.

If your sink has a suitable hose attachment then you can use a hose as you suggest. Just make sure not to use a standard garden hose as they have anti-fungal coatings which probably would transfer into your tank and not be good for fish. You can use a potable water or food grade hose which in the UK is blue or clear hosing.

A 10 litre/ 2.5 gallon watering can would be quicker than a 1 gallon jug.

There are also water changing devices like a python, but these also need you to have an appropriate hose attachment on your tap.

Last edited:
Tanks for all your help

If your sink has a suitable hose attachment then you can use a hose as you suggest. Just make sure not to use a standard garden hose as they have anti-fungal coatings which probably would transfer into your tank and not be good for fish. You can use a potable water or food grade hose which in the UK is blue or clear hosing.

A 10 litre/ 2.5 gallon watering can would be quicker than a 1 gallon jug.

There are also water changing devices like a python, but these also need you to have an appropriate hose attachment on your tap.

Tanks for all your help. On Amazon they have hoses for fish. I think it would hook up to my sink. I think it has suitable hose attachment. :cool:(y)

Tanks for all your help. On Amazon they have hoses for fish. I think it would hook up to my sink. I think it has suitable hose attachment. :cool:(y)

Just make sure you are careful not to suck up any of the fish when you use a python to drain the tank. I've never used one but I believe it comes with a gravel style cleaner end so there is no strainer on the end to stop fish from going down the drain. :eek:

Just make sure you are careful not to suck up any of the fish when you use a python to drain the tank. I've never used one but I believe it comes with a gravel style cleaner end so there is no strainer on the end to stop fish from going down the drain. :eek:

I will just do it the old fashion way. I do not want my fish going down the drain. :fish1::fish2:

I will just do it the old fashion way. I do not want my fish going down the drain. :fish1::fish2:

Lugging buckets can get old and do wonders on your back :blink: With a python, you just have to be careful. ( i.e. Don't leave the draining end in the tank when you leave to go change the draining to the filling. Or Don't take your eyes off what your are sucking out. )
The thing is you will need to know how much water you are removing so that you can add the correct amount of PRIME (or whatever you are using to remove chloramines) BEFORE you add water back into the tank if you are using the python to refill the tank. (y) A way to do this is to measure out your 30% or 20% or however much you plan on changing then put a marker on the tank at the water level so you know how much water you are removing and replacing. (y) (Notice the marks on the side of the tank? https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/41382-albums12715-picture72060.html They are gallon markers. All my tanks have them. (y) Makes it easier to do water changes and medications. )

Back
Top Bottom