Opinions for pod-producing HOB fuge (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 90 gal with 150 lbs LR and lots of pods. I just got a Spotted Mandarin. Note in the pic below how plump he is. I want to keep him that way. So I've had this HOB "sea storm" thing in the garage for a long time (see pic below). It came with a 108 gph pump that's supposed to go inside it such that it stirs up sand in the triangle area. I took the pump out and plan to have the pump in the tank, pumping into the HOB.

What should I put in this thing? I'm hoping it will get enough light from the MH's to support chaeto or whatever would be best to help pod reproduction. Unlike my sump, I figure the pods could actually make their way into the main from this HOB fuge. Does this sound like a good plan? Is it realistic to think that pods would go into the main from this?

Thanks in advance.

HOB fuge with coke bottle for size reference
hob.jpg

"The Man" as I call him.
mandarin.jpg

I'm not familiar with that HOB. How does it return to your main tank? Copepods only need ambient light and a food source. Chaetomorpha is an excellent place for them to hide and reproduce, as are small rock piles in your ST and in the crevices of the LR.

However, they do consume 200-500 Copepods per day. They are constantly looking for food.

What do you have in your tank? Coral? Fish? What do you feed the tank?
Can you send me an email with a little more specifics.

TeakieBarber@alltel.net

ive had success with my hob refugium. just make sure that when you start it, you allow the pods to form a sustainable population.

Back
Top Bottom