Patrick's 55-Gal Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i would construct something out of some sort of mesh. people have built a wooden frame and stretched bridal veil over it with success. glass tops are going to work against you.

I've also heard of people using egg crate on the top to prevent jumpers. This allows for good air circulation and light penetration but still keeps the critters safe.

I'm going to have to look into a jaw fish for my new 90g tank. They look like fun!

Edit: I was looking through your thread to see how much sand you have in there. In an early (first maybe?) post you got 60 lbs total sand, then later another 100 lbs of sand. So do you have 160 lbs of sand in your 55g tank? How deep of a sand bed is that?

i would construct something out of some sort of mesh. people have built a wooden frame and stretched bridal veil over it with success. glass tops are going to work against you.

That was my concern. I don't want to trap the heat or have algae/salt collect on it or a lot of water, but I want the tank to "breathe" and keep the fish in. I really like that screen idea and might have to start drawing up some ideas. Tax return is coming soon, and I really want to get a light.

I'm going to have to look into a jaw fish for my new 90g tank. They look like fun!

I will say that mine is VERY skiddish. If I had any fish that looked/acted at all threatening, I don't think he'd ever come out of his hole. There are ways to prevent this by putting them in a plastic strainer so the Jawfish can get used to it

Looking good. Do you just have the 3 fish for now?

So far. I'm probably going to keep it that way since I want a reef tank. Plus, I will like to eventually get a Mandarin (who doesn't?), but we'll see how the tank is doing in several months - a year.

Other than algae, what are the negative effects of natural sunlight in a tank? Since the side faces the window, I open the blinds so the morning sun comes into the tank and shines in a good distance. Since I have the stock lighting, I figure natural sun would be fine.

img_1204029_0_d8962ff2e05b6b97cda8065ce5c7920f.jpg

It shines for about 3 hours.

other than a great spectrum for growing algae, nothing. i have seen beautiful tanks that are partially lit by sunlight.
here is one in particular-
Tank of the Month - February 2006 - Reefkeeping.com

Yeaaaaa, that's what I was going for, but on a tad smaller scale, lol. In all seriousness, the way my CUC took care of my hair algae that was on 95% of the LR, it was cleaned up in a couple of days, so I thought it may be a cheap way to make food.

I finally got my RO/DI unit mounted and running perfectly. There were a lot of factors in my delay, 90% of it was procrastination. I was waiting for a TDS meter and 1 I bought from Ebay, yet it was never delivered. So I got another 1, this time I got the in-line version to switch from the water coming in and going out (way better than the pen IMO).

I ended up mounting the unit in the garage instead of the laundry room because I didn't want to risk a leak/spill on the 2nd floor. Here she is mounted securely onto my wall.

(Feb 4, 2011)
img_1214680_0_670a1ffb7beaee1969bee8e6a7bd0bf7.jpg

Here's the incoming water at 460ppm; which eventually went 500+ as the time progressed.
img_1214680_1_a8703ff7086d3d0d0cc875facc5f8af9.jpg

Finished water! :D
img_1214680_2_b30fb7532930f36ecc0b66ca0017a528.jpg

The water was creeping out of the tube, and I blame it on the pressure (~25psi) because of the cold.
img_1214680_3_36c5269d4cc94346ca3c770bf8d66747.jpg

img_1214680_4_4b5ae565900fd353f41e455a229d435d.jpg

I let the water run until there was about 1-1.5 gallons of RO water in the bucket; then discarded that water before filling up my 13 gallon container.

Well, the water is going to creep out the tube anyway. My god you have some horrible water. Where do you live? You might want to get a booster pump or else you will be wasting a lot of water and time. Do you have a tap after the RO but prior to the DI? You might want to add that as well. Take out a gallon or so there before running the DI. You can drink the RO. I bet you would like it

Viva Las Vegas! We have extremely hard water here. I've thought about a booster pump, but I'm going to wait until the temps warm up and see how that effects the output.

a booster pump is going to save a lot of water. i don't think the pressure is going to change a whole lot when it warms up.

I might look into getting a booster in a few months. I'm really trying to get that T5 fixture ASAP.

Vegas. Yup.

If you are paying for your water the booster is going to be important. And keep an eye on the sediment filter. Replace that first one often. I think you are going to see a lot of red clay there.

Definitely, Jason! (week late is better than never, haha).

Past:
Since the family reunion, I have only lost 1 hermit crab. Jack, the jawfish, has moved his den to the complete opposite side of the tank and loves it. He is not as colorful as I was wanted, but I'm hoping it's a lighting issue. I know it's not stress because he swims happily throughout the entire tank.

Present:
The coralline algae is starting to spread and I can start to see bright red, purple, and green spots over all of the LR. As for my diatoms, I still have a good amount in the overflow, but I'm hoping that new light and more PWC will get rid of them shortly.

I have noticed a lot of Spirorbid worms popping up all over my glass and overflow (I've read it means my tank is healthy, yay!). I've seen about 2 small snails, but I'm not sure if they're offspring or hitchhikers.

Future:
My taxes are done and my return couldn't come back soon enough. My first purchase is going to be a T5 fixture, and then I may get a PH for stronger flow in the tank.

Once I get that set up, I'm going to look at getting some zoas and maybe a long tentacle anemone; I would also love a skunk cleaner shrimp. Eventually I would like to get a small goby, but I'm waiting for my sand to get some food in it beforehand; he might come in a couple of months.

Looking at all the posts on this site everyday and getting daily updates on LiveAquaria, I'm only teasing the heck out of myself and I want to get everything at once! haha. However, I am in no hurry and will continue to take my time, I feel that I have saved a good amount of money already by just being diligent. Anyway, I'll try to get some pictures up soon so we can see if there's been any coralline growth.

Here are a few pictures. As you can tell, not too much has changed; hopefully the new light will make more of the colors pop.

(Feb 19, 2011)
img_1225621_0_40d9d0a03912a3371b7cc202cb417507.jpg

img_1225621_1_a89de8b801d9c8192d252abc1db7c22c.jpg

img_1225621_2_da4957310509da9eb4610bb3ee933ab4.jpg

img_1225621_3_4175f95beac551f5d78ef702fcdc3f53.jpg

Back
Top Bottom