Water heater creating fungal infection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

applepear619

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently just switched from a 1.5 gallon tank to a 3 and also changed the water heater. In the smaller tank, I noticed that the water heater would get this slimy film over it. The rest of the tank would get this clear algae (I think it’s algae).
I thought switching to a new tank would help since it’s a bit bigger and has more water movement, but after about a week the new heater has that similar film, but it is not around the tank yet. I have been using a fungal treatment when it starts and change the water.
Not sure why this is happening. Worried about my fish because he got pretty bad fin rot from the first infection, but he’s been doing good since. I just wiped down the water heat this morning otherwise I would include a picture.

Fish? Plural? In a 3g tank?

A 3g gallon tank is too small for 1 fish. There will be a huge bioload in there, which will be causing water quality issues.

What exactly are you keeping in there?

Fish? Plural? In a 3g tank?

A 3g gallon tank is too small for 1 fish. There will be a huge bioload in there, which will be causing water quality issues.

What exactly are you keeping in there?
I only have a small beta in there. He was happy and healthy in the smaller tank so I only got a 3 gallon. He’s no bigger than an inch so he’s got a lot of space.

I only have a small beta in there. He was happy and healthy in the smaller tank so I only got a 3 gallon. He’s no bigger than an inch so he’s got a lot of space.
There is Biofilm and then there is bacteria film and there is algae film. Heaters tend to support Bacteria film but poorer water quality from overfeeding/ under doing maintenance/ too much light/ too much nitrate, etc. will help support algae film and biofilm. So we need to figure out which it is that you have. Please post a picture of your setup and a good closeup of the " Film". (y)

I have actually been able to keep the film away. I have been doing more water changes, cleaning the plants and decorations, and got him a little snail friend who has been controlling a lot of the film on the sides of the tank. Oh and I bought a different water heater which doesn’t get all slimy. Which I think is weird but it’s probably part of the extra cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom