Pistol killed my peppermint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman26m

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here's a sad story....I've been using the soda bottle trap method for the past few days to catch a pistol shrimp that has just gotten too big for his breeches and has piled up the sand on one side of the tank to an almost 8" mound. I'd had enough of that, so I decided to catch him and trade him at the LFS. Well, after 4 days of trying I had caught my Royal Diadema, a skunk cleaner twice, the peppermint 3 times, and numerous hermits....but no pistol. So, last night I was in bed....sound asleep on the other end of the house....I was awaked by a tremendously loud snapping. I thought "Great!!! I finally got him!!" I jump up....run to the tank....this is 3am by the way....grab the flashlight and check out the trap. Inside is a peppermint shrimp laying on his side....dead. Half in the trap is the pistol both claws inside the trap and he's snapping away (he's double barreled...snaps with both claws) and the trap is bouncing all over. He finally manages to back out of the trap and darts into his hole.

I never figured he would kill anything and I'm sure he wasn't trying to kill the pep. I think that since the pep was in an enclosed space the snapping caused a higher pressure than it normally would and the pep paid the price.

Gonna miss that little guy :( ......and I still haven't caught the pistol. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom