power out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
get one of those crank generators..... when the power goes out, sit there and crank it to keep things going

do they really make a crank generator? where would one even find one? lol i'm interested, I'll crank to save my tank no problem.

Oh, lol I thought it was a real buy it kinda item. Wish I was handy but thats not my strong suit, building stuff...

And that is my dilemma. :) I think I will pick up 2 battery air pumps though. At least i can still have oxygenation.

good idea. You don't need a generator though. you just want to keep water circulating. I small UPS will keep your powerheads running for a significant amout of time. that and maybe the heater is all you need in an emergency.

OOps almost forgot about the heater. I think a computer backup (UPS) might last a few hours with just a heater. Plus I can go to the lowest acceptable level. Which I honestly dont know. LOL

Anyone know the rockbottom temp on a reef? How low can I go in the event of emergency?

Yeah. I've got alot of money invested and even more into my new 55g SW tank. If I can avoid a tragedy I'm in. :)

either way , if i had thousands of dollars in a tank i would have a generater on hand, there are more uses too ...ever have to take care of your own, or protect what is yours?

Thats what the weapons are for. ;-p But we are talking fish here...do you have a generator by chance? what do you have for backup? was it expensive?

GENERATORS willprotect your tank and it's inhabitants...its the easiest solution...do you see what i see? generators are how a lot of people get by in the woods...not everyone lives in the city... do yourself a favor... if you are on the same topic....dont want help... fine...maybe i am not hearing you right, you shouldnt need diesal generator for most on/off applications

You can get a genny for cheap. Even get used ones. Only need enough wattage to yum one pump and one heater. I had a power outage this winter for almost 48 hours. Apartment temp was like 10 degrees Celsius tank dropped to 65 degrees farenheit. Nothing died couldn't believe it. I got a genny the next day

How do you use a generator in an apartment? Like, where do you keep it? And what about fumes?

It's a triplex. I run it outside and use a long extension cord. Of corse you could always make an illegal cord as well. Double male on both ends turn off the breaker and plug it into the house. The other outlets will produce power this way. But like I say it's illegal

Back
Top Bottom