Powerhead diverters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vermonter310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you use the flared diverters on your powerheads or run them without? I have 3 maxi-jet 900's in my 72g and still seem to have some low flow areas. Would taking the diverters off help ??

any thoughts are helpful.

Mike

Also, Which inlets does everyone use ? the tapered with the holes just at the end or the shorter cylindrical one ? Will it make a difference to the flow rate?

Thanks again

Mike

I use the short cylindar ones, the diverters are just that, diverters. They dont help produce more flow or decrease it, just divert it.

Thanks Grndhog, I didn't mean to imply the diverters would change the flow rate. Rather I wondered if the diverters might be focusing the stream more than is really needed, there by reducing their overall effectiveness. I'm thinking the flow of water may move in more directions through out the entire tank if left to simply crash into the front wall of the tank or the stream from another PH. Instead of where I think they should be pointed. Just thinking out loud.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

Often times it's good for the flow from 2 different ph's to crash together, that will cause water to flow off in a bunnch of other directions.

I use the diverters but really only to mask my hob intakes. My condys think they are play toys. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom