Proper levels for a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my lights come in today (Yay!) And will be getting those, as well as hopefully buying a head of some zoas to start me off. So I need to start running phosphate and calcium tests correct? What are the right levels that I should be keeping those in?

I just did a water cahnge yesterday. Should I run the tests on my water first before adding in the zoas? I have nice coraline algae growth and my buddy said that I should be good to go with basic coral.

How long has your tank been cycled?

Zoas, at least the common ones, are pretty tough, they'll probably be okay as long as your tank is stable. Just don't start adding any more demanding/sensitive corals until your tank has been stable for a while, or you risk killing the coral and losing your money.

Calcium you want to maintain up around 400-450, phosphate needs to be pretty much 0ppm. You also need to keep an eye on your kH and Magnesium levels if you opt to get into more demanding corals, such as SPS.

Tank has been up and running for 7 months now. I'm definately going to be doing all the newb corals first. I do not have a fudge currently, are my NitrAtes going to be an issue? I usually do 30-35% waterchanges every 2-3 weeks.

I have a link at home on what the parameters should be in a reef tank. I`ll post it when I get home unless someone else posts it.

Thats like giving up your crown. I bet that thing is under lock and key. Protected by...cyber lions..or something...

LOL guys. I just think the links can explain it better than me. That is the link that Jimbo posted.

Back
Top Bottom