PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dezso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Quick question..
After mixing the new salt/ro water do you change it imiedetly or let it stand for awhile?
Myself I mixt the salt than air ate it and heat it up for a day or two.
Some times when the timing not right even 3-4 days.
Is there a disadvantage this way, is the water quality/trace elements degrade this way ?

Thanks

Your way is actually just fine. Your supposed to let the mixed SW circulate, aerate and heat for 24-48 hours before adding it to the tank. As long as the water remains circulating and well aerated, the extra days don't hurt either. The trace elements don't evaporate and there is no life in your jug that consumes them so it'll be fine.

You should let the mixed saltwater sit for no less than 24 hours before using it. You need to make sure that ALL of the salt has dissolved in the water since salt is caustic and can burn the fishes gills and in severe cases, kill them.

It's best to keep a powerhead or pump running in there so the water gets proper flow and aeration, and doesn't just sit still and become stagnant.

Ok, This is good news.
I do have a power head in the 23G bucket, and I feed some air to the inlet of the pump, this way creates very fine bubbles.

Yeah that sounds fine. I run a penguin 550 powerhead that cost me like 10$.. it just needs some sort of flow/circulation/aeration and you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom