Question about Chemi-Clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuxorCaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure Im treating my tank correctly.

On the instructions it says that I "Must change water (20%) after full treatment." Does this mean, after the chemical has done its job, or right after I treat the tank with it?

Hopefully you can see why I would be confused? I just dont understand why I would do a 20% water change, right after I dose the tank. I mean what would be the point? Why wouldnt I just drain 20% out, dose the tank, then finish my water change, if that was what they wanted me to do.

Anywho, hope IM not too confusing.

It means to pull out your carbon, turn off your skimmer, dose the tank and then after the slime is gone, then do the change and put back the way it was. Be sure to figure your water content to allow for rock and decoration. One scoop per ten gallons of actual water not how much water your tank would hold if it were empty. You can overdose this stuff. And it does work but if you don't find the root cause, it will be back in about a month.

Well to add to what I posted before...I found out my root problem.

I was concerned when the cyano came back after only a week of me medicating my tank. So I started thinking back to when it first started showing up, what did I start doing different, or start using?

Believe it or not, it was my food. I only had a Clark clown and 2 damsels in the tank, so I was feeding them flake food. Well looks like the flake food I was feeding them, had the cyano bacteria in it, or was somehow helping it grow. Hopefully it was just a bad batch of food, but since Ive changed my food, the cyano has disappeared. Funny, Ive spent over $500 in the past month, trying to fix the problem, and come to find out it was a $3 can of flake food...

I guess you live and you learn.

It was a brand we bought at walmart called Waverly or something like that. Now Im sure others had used this brand before, and nothing happened, but for me it was definatly the cause. Ever since I stopped using it, what cyano I had died, and nothing new has grown.

That's what my problem turned out to be. I was using the marine cuisine frozen cubes. When I started making my own per the "blender mush recipe" thread, my cyano problem went away. I don't understand why more people don't make their own. It's ten times cheaper and you never have to worry about the store being closed.

Oh, the dreaded wally world fish department strikes again. THey pretty much cater to freshwater fish and I would never buy anything from their fish department for my saltwater fish. You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to fish food.

electrikat said:
Oh, the dreaded wally world fish department strikes again. THey pretty much cater to freshwater fish and I would never buy anything from their fish department for my saltwater fish. You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to fish food.

Yea I agree totally, and I should have known better, but I was out of food, the wife was going to walmart...so...why not just pick up some, I mean what could it hurt...LOL $500.00 later, now I know what it hurt.

Its ok though, it forced me to get off my buttocks and buy the equiptment I needed, like an RO system, a UV sterilzer and a new lighting system. Not to mention, it got me in the habit of looking at my tank thourghly everyday. So like I said before, you live and you learn.

Back
Top Bottom