Question with the Powder Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatic_Adam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all you beautiful people. Been doing some research to mixed results. I have a 125g reef (less than a year) tank with 40g sump. I would like to add Tangs and have had my eye on both the Brown and Blue Powder Tang.

While looking online I've seen people say not a chance, some people say add them at the same time, some people say make sure the Powder Brown is larger, some say add the Powder Brown first then the Blue.

Lots of different opinions! Anybody here have experience with these fish, or better yet with them together? I know that generally with Tangs each has their own personality so results will be varying but I guess just looking for some insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I attempted powder blue with a cheveron in my 4' 120.:facepalm:
They fought/stressed each other to death and infected my tank with ich killing almost all my other fish.
I won't be trying anything like that again.....:nono:
Cost me $$$(almost a fourth$) in the long run and a 120 reef fallow of fish for 45 days atleast if I recall properly(it still hurts inside{my cheveron}) I try not to think about it anymore:(

Tank is to small for that same type of Tang.

Fair enough.

Well I'm still interested in the Powder Brown. What would, if any, be a good additional Tang to get? My gf really likes the Tangs because of their movement and color. Would a Hippo or Yellow be ok with Powder Brown?

Hippo or Yellow would be ok. Added at the same time, so no territory is established.

I have the powder brown, blue and yellow tang on my 150 gal long with soft corals. The brown was added last but it still show some mellow aggressiveness that my blue is starting to have some ich. I am battling it with herbal medicine and none stop sea wed. I just can't get rid of the brown for it's beauty. The yellow seem to tolerate him and looks healthy. I'm not sure how long I can keep them both with no issues. Time will only tell.

First look into what tangs you like. If they look alike, they won't play nice. That and some need a much larger tank that what you have.
The plan is similar to mine, where I want one with a powder brown, purple, and smaller kole or tomini tang.

I attempted powder blue with a cheveron in my 4' 120.:facepalm:

They fought/stressed each other to death and infected my tank with ich killing almost all my other fish.

I won't be trying anything like that again.....:nono:

Cost me $$$(almost a fourth$) in the long run and a 120 reef fallow of fish for 45 days atleast if I recall properly(it still hurts inside{my cheveron}) I try not to think about it anymore:(

A very common story with tangs. Everyone loves them but surgeonfish are pretty particular to their surroundings, maybe more so than most any other common fish. Kole tang is a great starter tang, followed by the yellows. The rest are in various degrees harder and harder to keep for a natural life span. Diet, room to swim and hide and their tiny scales can make them a stress related ich magnet.

Last edited:
I've tried 2 powder blues and both times I've had whitespot even after long fallow periods I've simply given up on them

Some tangs work areas of the reef where the water is calmer. Yellows are an example of these, but some tangs work the surge zone which is like a washing machine. These tangs get especially strong and fast. They include many of the hardest tangs to raise in a captive environment. The clown tang is a example of this group.

I have one that I rescued. He is so mean and active I don't dare add him to the general population. He's beautiful but too much trouble.

My LFS owner always says that you can be a jerk when you look that good. ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom