really high calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peeley

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just tested my calcium at 800 ppm!!
I was told that if calcium was too high it would precipitate out, so i wasnt worried about overdoing it. And ive never added calcium before so i thought i had to catch up.
Ok, i dont have alot that uses calcium quickly at this point (ie no stony corals), and since ive been adding it, it makes sense that my calcium is high.
My alk is at 5 meq/L (*2.8= 14 dkh ), but as an experiment i added a little bit of buffer and it instantly turned white with precipitate.
Is 800 too high? Are there any ill effects of high Ca?

pH = 8.2
Alk = 5 meq/L = 14dkh
Ca = 800 ppm!

Ive heard supplements really make the difference, Ive got Mg, Reef Advantage Ca with some Mg and strontium, lugol's solution iodine, and kalkwasser. Does that sound like a good lineup ?

First if your ca were 800 at reef ph, you would have a snowstorm. Double check your ca reading, what test kit are you using?

Ive heard supplements really make the difference, Ive got Mg, Reef Advantage Ca with some Mg and strontium, lugol's solution iodine, and kalkwasser. Does that sound like a good lineup ?

If you have no CA consumers you should do fine by doing regular waterchanges with a high quality salt. Adding all those things are simply asking for an imbalanced aquarium, IMO.

ALWAYS test the water BEFORE adding any supplements! Chances are you were probably within normal calcium and alk ranges and adding unbalanced supplements threw things for a loop. With a good salt mix and regular water changes you shouldn't need the Mg, Sr, or iodine. If your calcium and alkalinity are out of specs you can replace both with kalkwasser or another balanced additive.

Back
Top Bottom