???? Red coral has white mucus looking coating forming ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRIFTER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got some live rock the other day and one of the peices was half covered in what i think is coral . It is orange and smoothe and it is fleshy to the touch.

The new rock was put into a new tank i just started and im in the process of cycling the tank. I have not had the lights on this whole first week to avoid algea blooms from forming. I noticed that the red coral looking stuff started to become covered in a white mucus layer. I gently scrapped away some of the white and it was still redish orange underneath. Any idea what is happening ???

Instead of doing a total blackout on the lights I would avocate a shorter photo period if your worried about an algae bloom. It could be a few things. If it is indeed a coral (im a little sceptable from the description) then it could be 'sliming' as a protective measure. If its a sponge then it could be that the sponge is dieing off due to exposure to air and the white layer is due to that.

Im not shure it is a coral either in fact you may be rite maybe its a sponge.

Im still not to good at identifying things yet.

Back
Top Bottom