Red Slime Algea In a Refugium? Good or Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kungfukoi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all.

I've a 70Gal Reef Tank with 140 lbs of live rock, and inhabitants.
I have a backpack skimmer, and a backpack refugium.

The refugium has it's light on 24/7 and the macro algea (calupra, and one that looks like green thread.)

I've started to get what I can only guess is "Red Slime Algea" in the refugium. It doesn't appear to be anywhere inside the tank, but I also imagine that the inhabitants would consume it.

So my question is, as the Title suggests... Is it necessarly BAD to have Cyanobacteria in your refugium?

If I understand right, Cyanobacteria actually captures Nitrates...

Please weigh in if you are in the know.

Thank you.

kungfukoi said:
The refugium has it's light on 24/7 and the macro algea (calupra, and one that looks like green thread.)
The macro algae sounds more like chaetomorpha which is not a gaulerpa species. Can you post a pic?

So my question is, as the Title suggests... Is it necessarly BAD to have Cyanobacteria in your refugium?
The presence of cyano is usually from a few issues but one in particularly inherent to refugiums on occasion. The slower flow makes it much easier for this type of nuisance to get hold. If this is a newer addition to the tank, it could simpley be "growing pains" and may yet subside on it's own. The main culprit in it's cause though will primarily be from PO4. I would suggest checking on those levels as the first step. Nitrates in themselves will not usually start the problem but are a great fuel source for maintaining the cyano's growth. A few water changes with RO water should help with the NO3. I would also reduce the lighting back down from 24/7 and opt for a reverse lit setup. This will allow for much stabler ph at the same time limiting another possible fuel source being the light itself. Personally, I have found if the spectrum of the bulb being used is too yellow, it will also spur on unwanted algae growths. If possible I would look into a "bluer" spectrum bulb or possibley an actinic 03.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom