redsea's 34g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
redsea said:
I see little bug like things crawling around on my aquarium glass. Could they be copepods? Thanks

Probably...there are several different varieties, but they all look like something you would spray for if they showed up in your kitchen!

Gregcoyote said:
Probably...there are several different varieties, but they all look like something you would spray for if they showed up in your kitchen!

Lol. If my kitchen looked like my refugium I'd move out!

Haha, well I hope they are pods!

On the other hand, as some of you know, I am an EXTREME worrywart. Today I moved my little zoa frag without gloves, but some can be deadly poisonous, right? I am so worried I will go blind or something, lol. What do you all think?

redsea said:
Haha, well I hope they are pods!

On the other hand, as some of you know, I am an EXTREME worrywart. Today I moved my little zoa frag without gloves, but some can be deadly poisonous, right? I am so worried I will go blind or something, lol. What do you all think?

I never use gloves. I stuck my hand in a tank of freshly introduced zoa frags once. My arm stung for a little bit. But nothing else.

I never use gloves. I stuck my hand in a tank of freshly introduced zoa frags once. My arm stung for a little bit. But nothing else.

Ok, you can't go blind or anything, right? I know it sounds extremely silly, but just want to make sure. :) Thanks!

Any thoughts on how much pure ammonia I should dose for the 125g?

Thanks!

Edit: (Thought I was in my 125g thread when I posted this, LOL.)

Last edited:
Different people have different sensitivity. The back of your wrist or arm are more likely to get stung as the skin is less calloused than your hands. Don't rub your eyes or anything before washing your hands. As a diver and reef keeper much of my life, I have only been stung by fire coral and sea wasps in the ocean. And that wasn't too bad. We don't keep those things in our tanks.

Different people have different sensitivity. The back of your wrist or arm are more likely to get stung as the skin is less calloused than your hands. Don't rub your eyes or anything before washing your hands. As a diver and reef keeper much of my life, I have only been stung by fire coral and sea wasps in the ocean. And that wasn't too bad. We don't keep those things in our tanks.

Thanks, I washed my hands pretty well. I also attempted to wash my arm, but that was only quickly. A few minutes ago my arm was a little itchy, but it isn't any more. :)

Do you guys think that it is worth putting in my signature that zoas can be harmful? I only ask because before I read about it in a magazine, I had no clue that they could be deadly sometimes.

Thanks for your input!

Zoas are not the only corals that can be poisonous. Most soft corals secrete toxins as well. I think that people should get into a habit of washing their before and after touching something in a tank.

Zoas are not the only corals that can be poisonous. Most soft corals secrete toxins as well. I think that people should get into a habit of washing their before and after touching something in a tank.

Oh, really? Interesting, are their toxins as powerful as toxins from zoas and palythoas?

redsea said:
Oh, really? Interesting, are their toxins as powerful as toxins from zoas and palythoas?

Their toxins are quite strong, but they have a limited way way deliver them. Their stinging cells are not powerful enough to affect most peoples skin, obviously if you rub your eyes after, or even ingest them, it would be bad. Fire coral, has stinging cells that can easily penetrate bare skin.

Everything looks nice and healthy. I wish my shrimp would display themselves...I have too much activity on the front of the reef for them to hang out all the time like yours.

Love the pop ups you used to say what was what. :) Great looking video. You need to do one with you announcing what we are looking at. lol

Back
Top Bottom