redsea's 34g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm I never considered peppermints to be "ornamental", I thought theymeant like sexy shrimp and small guys. Some of the shrimp that died were quite big, something was just killing them and not eating them, for fun. yuch... I would find them snapped in half in the tank on the sandbed. i also suspected the pistol shrimp but i don't think he comes out enough to be the guilty party. But who knows. i never will, and now I can't put shrimp in my tank. it sucks. I have all this room for them and cant have em. lol

Hmm I never considered peppermints to be "ornamental", I thought theymeant like sexy shrimp and small guys. Some of the shrimp that died were quite big, something was just killing them and not eating them, for fun. yuch... I would find them snapped in half in the tank on the sandbed. i also suspected the pistol shrimp but i don't think he comes out enough to be the guilty party. But who knows. i never will, and now I can't put shrimp in my tank. it sucks. I have all this room for them and cant have em. lol

Yep, it could have also been the Pistol. That's unfortunate, I think everything should get along, LOL.

Here are a bunch of new photos! :)

Attachments

• image-2292271754.jpg
    image-2292271754.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image-297999475.jpg
    image-297999475.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-624947907.jpg
    image-624947907.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3709320975.jpg
    image-3709320975.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3711685824.jpg
    image-3711685824.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3853708995.jpg
    image-3853708995.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3244819218.jpg
    image-3244819218.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2183089771.jpg
    image-2183089771.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3121285451.jpg
    image-3121285451.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3577508208.jpg
    image-3577508208.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1220575933.jpg
    image-1220575933.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-757848843.jpg
    image-757848843.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 103
  • image-670798846.jpg
    image-670798846.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Liking it! Really like the shrimp they look so pretty!

Thank you! The shrimp no one ever gets to see is the Peppermint. Maybe if I get another Peppermint he will come out.:whistle: LOL, I might, but not anytime soon. My LFS always has tons of Peppermints though, at least I know where to get one when/if I decide to buy one. :lol:

Jlsardina said:
I never see my peppermint shrimp unless I move the rock. I know I have three though!

Same here! My 3 peppermint only come out during feeding. My scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp is super social, I definitely am going to get more :)

Same here! My 3 peppermint only come out during feeding. My scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp is super social, I definitely am going to get more :)

I never see my peppermint shrimp unless I move the rock. I know I have three though!

I know, they should be more social! LOL. We should take our shrimp to a "playgroup" to work on their social skills.

I have a feeling that mine are antisocial because I have a Longnose Hawkfish that perches and watches them when they come out during feeding. He wouldn't hurt a fly, but if I were a shrimp, I wouldn't take the risk. Even I am afraid of putting my hand in the tank... Lol

Greenturtle said:
I have a feeling that mine are antisocial because I have a Longnose Hawkfish that perches and watches them when they come out during feeding. He wouldn't hurt a fly, but if I were a shrimp, I wouldn't take the risk. Even I am afraid of putting my hand in the tank... Lol

At least you don't have a fish that wants to attack you. LOL, my Orange Ocellaris Clownfish hates me!

redsea said:
At least you don't have a fish that wants to attack you. LOL, my Orange Ocellaris Clownfish hates me!

Lmao. My clowns do the same! All I have to do is get near the colt coral that they are hosting and it's like a scene out of a war movie. I'm thinking about naming them bomb shell and kamikaze.

Yours are hosting a colt?!? Lucky! Mine are hosting a rock. They even bring food to it and everything. Yet there is a basketball sized colt coral on the other side of the tank... And a hammer coral...

Lol. Yeah. Mine host the colt. But the b/w clowns host my overflow box. They completely ignore the frogspawn, the anemone, and so much more!

More pictures.

I even got a photo of my Emerald Crab! :) I am so glad that this Fire Shrimp doesn't mind the light so much and that he didn't take the spot my old one had. It was hard to view my old one where he liked to hang out. My new Shrimp is eating too.

Speaking of shrimp, I haven't really seen my Peppermint Shrimp pick up a piece of food in a while, is that ok? He may be eating when I am not looking. Same thing with my Emerald. Should I be worried, or do you think they are eating from the LR and eating food when I am not looking?

On another note, my Feather Duster is doing quite well, and I think he likes the spot between the two rocks and his bottom buried in the sand. His crown has been out a good amount of time so that is a good sign. :)

Thanks for you interest in my thread!

Attachments

• image-2729008358.jpg
    image-2729008358.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2925400455.jpg
    image-2925400455.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image-498623215.jpg
    image-498623215.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
The peppermints are nocturnal I believe. And they eat off the rocks. Sometimes I am able to spot feed them with a tube and syringe. It's really cool to watch. But most of the time they just hang out under the rocks and chow down there

Jlsardina said:
The peppermints are nocturnal I believe. And they eat off the rocks. Sometimes I am able to spot feed them with a tube and syringe. It's really cool to watch. But most of the time they just hang out under the rocks and chow down there

Ok, thanks you very much for the information! It was very informative!

Jlsardina said:
Lmao. My clowns do the same! All I have to do is get near the colt coral that they are hosting and it's like a scene out of a war movie. I'm thinking about naming them bomb shell and kamikaze.

Unfortunately, mine claimed the whole tank as their territory! LOL

Jlsardina said:
Lol. Yeah. Mine host the colt. But the b/w clowns host my overflow box. They completely ignore the frogspawn, the anemone, and so much more!

Haha, I love it when Clownfish host equipment, it makes me laugh. I am pretty sure mine host the powerhead, :lol:

Back
Top Bottom