redsea's 34g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my 34G Red Sea Max 130D has been set up for a few years now....but I decided to do a build thread for it anyway when ever I do something to it. This is the current stocklist

Fish

1.Lemonpeel Angelfish
2.Ocellaris Clownfish
3.Sixline Wrasse
4.Pajama Cardinal
5.Pajama Cardinal

Corals

1.Xenia
2.Devil's Hand
3.A few Small Red Shrooms

Inverts

1.Cleaner Shrimp
2.Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited:
Here is a FTS of the aquarium!

Attachments

• image-3030832919.jpg
    image-3030832919.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 291
Awesome stocklisting!!! Why don't you have more corals? Zoanthids are really cool IMO. But I also love Xenia. I have a GSP and some Zoas. Lemonpeels are cool :)

Awesome stocklisting!!! Why don't you have more corals? Zoanthids are really cool IMO. But I also love Xenia. I have a GSP and some Zoas. Lemonpeels are cool :)

Thank you!! I plan on going to a LFS tomorrow to purchase some corals! I'm very excited!

redsea said:
Thank you!! I plan on going to a LFS tomorrow to purchase some corals! I'm very excited!

I would get some rock with that. And what types of coral?

Upon seeing the picture, why don't you get more base rock?

I have been thinking about getting more rock...I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet LOL. I was curious, If you stack your rock high and you put coral on it, what do you do when you do a water change?

redsea said:
I have been thinking about getting more rock...I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet LOL. I was curious, If you stack your rock high and you put coral on it, what do you do when you do a water change?

Corals can be in the air for a while. That's how the survive in low tide.

redsea said:
Not sure yet. I love toadstool, hammer, frogspawn. Those are all soft corals, right?

I thought they were LPS, and their sweeper tentacles that come out when feeding can damage other things since it is a small tank. I'm afraid of getting one for my 90 gallon.

redsea said:
Great! Approximately, how long do you think a coral can be out of water before it starts to die? Thanks for you help!

Depends on the coral. I think a while, since people frag them in the air. 15 minutes would be fine, I think. I would get someone else advice on it too.

Love the lemon peel,,hammers and frogs are hard corals,,they have a skeletal base which needs good calcium levels to build on...
Keep in mind it is an Angel,,my angel nipped every coral i tried to death(including frogs and hammers and toadstool),,all except my rics and mushrooms are gone

For my lighting, I have 2 x 55 wat T5's Compact Fluorescent bulbs. What corals do you recommend?

redsea said:
For my lighting, I have 2 x 55 wat T5's Compact Fluorescent bulbs. What corals do you recommend?

GSPs, Zoas, and mushrooms can practically live under a flashlight. I'm not good at guessing with lighting fixtures that aren't metal halides :(

Love the lemon peel,,hammers and frogs are hard corals,,they have a skeletal base which needs good calcium levels to build on...
Keep in mind it is an Angel,,my angel nipped every coral i tried to death(including frogs and hammers and toadstool),,all except my rics and mushrooms are gone

Thanks, do you know if toadstools are hard corals too? The reason why I ask is because I was told my lighting can only support Soft Corals. So I can keep SPS not LPS, right? I don't think There are any other categories :confused:. Are there? As for my angel goes, At first he nipped at my coral, but I haven't seen him do it since. My fingers are crossed that he doesn't start again. Thanks for you concern.

redsea said:
Thanks, do you know if toadstools are hard corals too? The reason why I ask is because I was told my lighting can only support Soft Corals. So I can keep SPS not LPS, right? I don't think There are any other categories :confused:. Are there? As for my angel goes, At first he nipped at my coral, but I haven't seen him do it since. My fingers are crossed that he doesn't start again. Thanks for you concern.

SPS isn't soft. Neither are toadstools. Xenia is a good example of a soft coral. Zoas, GSP, shrooms, and Xenia are the most popular soft corals

There are 3 levels of easiness. Soft Corals/Polyps, then LPS, then SPS. U can't have either SPS or LPS. Look the up the ones you want in liveaquaria.com under the "Soft Coral" or "Polyps" sections.

SPS isn't soft. Neither are toadstools. Xenia is a good example of a soft coral. Zoas, GSP, shrooms, and Xenia are the most popular soft corals

There are 3 levels of easiness. Soft Corals/Polyps, then LPS, then SPS. U can't have either SPS or LPS. Look the up the ones you want in liveaquaria.com under the "Soft Coral" or "Polyps" sections.

OK, Thanks for your help!

Here are a few shots of the tank!

Attachments

• image-2047766348.jpg
    image-2047766348.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 150
  • image-1598222031.jpg
    image-1598222031.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 154
  • image-3695704892.jpg
    image-3695704892.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 177