Reef Safe Emerald?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrongBad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got my first pulsing xenia last week and have been watching it extend and wave around for a while and then tighten up into a small little ball. I was not sure why this happened, maybe just getting used to a new environment. Today I noticed that the xenia looked damaged like something was picking at it. Well sure enough a couple hours later I saw my big emeral crab (boris) picking at it. I thought emerald crabs were reef safe. By the way, Boris is now in Quarantine wating for his trip to the fish store.

I have kept emerald crabs for years and have had no problem with them at all in a reef. However, they are opporunistic creatures, feeding on what is available to them. Generally they will scavenge for algae and accept meaty items, but if not enough food is available to them, they will give your corals, fish, and smaller inverts a try. HTH

I've seen my emerald sit in my finger leather and on other corals but never eating the tissue.

I never even see my emerald crab! We know he is still alive b/c we saw a molt recently, but he only comes out at night.

Emerald Crabs, like other crabs may or many not nibble at your corals. I have an Emerald and it has not touched any of my COrals, but that does not mean it's not looking at them and drooling.

I have had nothing but angst with crabs, emerald and sally lightfoots. Eventually, they all get big and voracious. They all enjoy meat and are opportunistic, especially at night when your expensive fish and inverts are trying to sleep.

My emerald killed a baby clown one evening - he went back. Following month, I added two SF crabs. A month after their introduction, one Sat morning, I saw them eating at the front of the glass about 8:00 AM and thought; That's strange. Upon closer inspection, they were finishing off a beautiful 2" Maxima clam! That very clam was brilliant and healthy the prior evening as I fed my tank. My son and I were discussing how awesome it was and how well it was doing - BAM, next morning is was breakfast for crabs :(

Eventually, they all get big and voracious. watch out for them

Yeah, I definitely caught him red handed. Afterward I saw that a few of the branches on my xenia are missing. Do they maybe get more aggressive as they get bigger?

More aggressive after they acclimate and establish their territory. Then, bigger, hungrier and more bold, they become.

I have never had a bit of problems with my emeralds in either of my reefs. They are great cleaners but, like anything with claaws, should be watched in a reef setting.

Back
Top Bottom