Refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shjuho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thinking of buying a refractometer. What brands are good - should I spend the extra money for one with a light

Exactly what i am interested in myself. I just feel like the hydrometer is always wrong but i dont want to buy a 50$ refractometer if the only ones worth getting are 150$ you know what i mean. :) sometimes you pay for what you get sometimes its all the same :) please help us refracto newbs!

Dela :p More snow today in NJ!

You do have to be very careful on refractometers. Some of the cheaper ones are just refractometers that were modified to measure saltwater.Some are modified medical units that were meant to measure mineral levels in urine. In my opinion the best ones are made by Milwaukee. There is two models. One that has ATC (auto temprature calibration). In other words it's calibration is not affected by a change in temprature. The other model does not have this feature. These are quailty refracftometers and are way ahead in terms of quality and accuracy over the cheap china made and modified units that have flooded the market lately.

Pinpoint Salinity monitor
I have heard great stuff about them.. nothing bad so far..

Thinking of buying a refractometer. What brands are good
I went with the Premiumaquatics rhs-atc10 I believe.. They list them occasionally for rather cheap on ebay.. I got mine for 39.00.. I believe Kevin also bought the same one.. I am really happy with mine.. seems extremely accurate and they are awesome with their warranty.. I had a small issue and they shipped me a return label along with a new unit the same day..

should I spend the extra money for one with a light
Well that question is kinda up to you.. I dont mind using household light to see mine and for the money I would rather use lights that I already have in my house...
I just feel like the hydrometer is always wrong
It most likely is.. I have tested 2 deepsix hydrometers and both have been off.. reading 1.025 is really about 1.027-028

i dont want to buy a 50$ refractometer if the only ones worth getting are 150$ you know what i mean

I would personally recommend that you get the one from Premium aquatics.. I do not know the brand but I do know the quality and they warranty the unit for 2yrs.. I spent like 42.00 total shipped.. It was definetly well worth the money spent.. It is one of the most common Refractometers out there right now.. Make sure that you get the model with ATC.. the ones with the light are personal preference..

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom