Internal vs External - Which is more aesthetic choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

takeasniff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I will be setting up a new aquarium likely with a 45 gallon tank for freshwater fish. One of my design goals is to have the least visible equipment possible filters and heaters for aesthetic and beauty purposes. I

Of course, I feel that external filters are probably the way to go to achieve this.. but I would love to hear/see some setups with either internal or external!

Which filter types/brands do you folks recommend for someone with a 45 gallon tank who wants all the equipment as hidden as possible?

What are some tips that you have experienced for "hiding" equipment?

Thanks !

If hiding all your equipment is your main priority then a drilled aquarium, with overflow weir and sump filtration would be your best bet. All the equipment can then be out of sight in the sump, all the pipework is either in the cabinet and the fed into the aquarium behind the weir.

If its a choice between an external canister or internal filtration, an external canister would be less intrusive and take up less real estate in the aquarium. There are some canisters with built in heaters like the Eheim Pro 3 XLT1200 or you can get inline heaters that connect into the hosing. If you want to use inline heaters then avoid fluval canisters as inline heaters won't be compatible with fluvals ribbed hosing. If you are thinking about including UV sterilisation, then Sunsun/ All Pond Solutions canister filters do versions of most of their canisters with built in UV as an option.

I agree with Aiken. If you don't want to see it, it can't be in there. A sump method would be the way to go. And if you don't want to have a drilled tank, you will have to accept seeing an overflow box.

As for hiding things inside the tank, rock work is the best bet to hide things however , you have to be careful with your rockwork that it doesn't cut off water circulation around/ throughout the tank. That may mean having to compromise on some designs or possibly seeing some wires inside the tank from things like Heaters or circulation pumps.

Another option would be an all in one aquarium where the sump is built into the back of the aquarium. Ive got a fluval flex 57 and the rear sump hides the heater nicely. All you see in the aquarium are the output nozzles and 2 grilles for input.

Fluval do a 123 litre/ 32.5 gallon version if thats close enough to the 40g you are looking at.

Thanks everyone -

I think tanks with sumps + overflow systems are pretty neat and seem like the best option for aesthetics. They’re also daunting at the same time. Looking at some setups online and at the store has me thinking that they’ll be much more expensive + trickier to set up.

The consensus seems to be that beginners shouldn’t attempt to build one….I’ve got a bit of plumbing experience and perhaps am a bit “handy” in some regard + I don’t mind making a project out of this.

With all considerations, do you think 40-80 gallon tank with sump + overflow setup is doable for DIY’r on a $800 budget?

Should I just accept to see some equipment and do an external system instead?

$800 is about £635. I spent over £1000 setting up a 200 litre/ 50 gallon aquarium a few years back. Tank, cabinet, filtration, lighting, heater, aquascape and fish.

Cant really make an informed comment on US pricing, but $800 dollars feels like pushing it unless you are really planning on DIYing and going used where you cant build. 40 gallons will be cheaper than 80 gallons.

Just been looking at waterbox aquariums that come with sumps etc, so not DIY, and they are triple your budget on a 50g aquarium, cabinet and sump, but waterbox are high end.

Thanks everyone -

I think tanks with sumps + overflow systems are pretty neat and seem like the best option for aesthetics. They’re also daunting at the same time. Looking at some setups online and at the store has me thinking that they’ll be much more expensive + trickier to set up.

The consensus seems to be that beginners shouldn’t attempt to build one….I’ve got a bit of plumbing experience and perhaps am a bit “handy” in some regard + I don’t mind making a project out of this.

With all considerations, do you think 40-80 gallon tank with sump + overflow setup is doable for DIY’r on a $800 budget?

Should I just accept to see some equipment and do an external system instead?
Building sumps is not all that involved IF you are truly handy. ;) As for doing them on an $800 budget, you would probably need to economize by using non brand name equipment. I've built them out of glass tanks, acrylic tanks( that I made from scratch with spare parts) , used power heads for pumps instead of " proper" pumps, etc. so they are doable. They can be made as simple or as complicated as you want.
That said, is this going to be a freshwater tank or a saltwater tank?
Is the room the tank is in heated or does it have temperature issues?

Building sumps is not all that involved IF you are truly handy. ;) As for doing them on an $800 budget, you would probably need to economize by using non brand name equipment. I've built them out of glass tanks, acrylic tanks( that I made from scratch with spare parts) , used power heads for pumps instead of " proper" pumps, etc. so they are doable. They can be made as simple or as complicated as you want.
That said, is this going to be a freshwater tank or a saltwater tank?
Is the room the tank is in heated or does it have temperature issues?

- Likely freshwater
- Heated room, no temp issues, low sunlight as well (basement)

- Likely freshwater
- Heated room, no temp issues, low sunlight as well (basement)

Then as I said, it can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. (y) I've designed and built sumps for my tanks as small as 30 gallons and as large as 2500 gallon marine systems. They all worked. ;) (y) :D

Back
Top Bottom