Sally light foot - Info please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbiesamp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I have one in my 55 gallon reef tank

What does it eat

Will it hurt corals/fish

I got one the other day, hes really cool.

He gets scared of everything and has just barely checked out my zoas, but he didnt touch,
Hasnt even looked at my chromis like theyre food, go for it.

Like all crabs, your mileage will vary. Being opportunistic feeders, if one day while hungry it happens to be by a coral, it is very likely to munch. It is common among reef keepers to remove any crabs they find (excepting small hermits) and not to add any.
Of course there will always be those crabs that behave well for much of their lives, but I've never had a well behaved crab.

Like all crabs, your mileage will vary.
Of course there will always be those crabs that behave well for much of their lives, but I've never had a well behaved crab.

There are people on both sides of this and I've yet to find any common factors between those with well behaved crabs. Without being able to ensure a crab will behave, I consider them too risky.
But that's just me!
I love crabs and if I had a FOWLR, I'd have several!

I keep emeralds in my reef but I wouldn't keep a Sally in a reef having had them in years past.

Last edited:
Someday I want a tank huge enough to have real crabs without worrying about them killing everything. I love crabs. As it is, I've had two emeralds to rogue and start eating corals. One took less than an hour, the other behaved for three weeks.

I had two emerald crabs who would eat my coral. They went to the sump. I have one in my main tank that keeps to its self ^_^ I have a Sally light foot who grazes on what ever it can find on the rocks but it will leave my corals alone. Just gotta keep an eye out for trouble makers. Crabs are hard to catch once you put them in. You have to be tricky to get them out.

+1 I have one in my sump as well and a smaller on in my tank the bigger one wipe a rock entirely clean of Gsp so was sentenced to life in my sump

+1 I have one in my sump as well and a smaller on in my tank the bigger one wipe a rock entirely clean of Gsp so was sentenced to life in my sump

Wiping out gsp is a bonus imo that stuff gets outta control :) i also had an emerald that caught a fish crabs are nice when their small but when they get big so does their appetite

danbstrong said:
Wiping out gsp is a bonus imo that stuff gets outta control :) i also had an emerald that caught a fish crabs are nice when their small but when they get big so does their appetite

I had a Sally in both of my old 30s. They were harmless for years but after getting really large they each began taking swipes at my fish and they got moved to the sumps. Not easy animals to catch.

I had a Sally in both of my old 30s. They were harmless for years but after getting really large they each began taking swipes at my fish and they got moved to the sumps. Not easy animals to catch.

Lol i tried catch mine with tweezers each day i caught 1 leg and it pulled away dropping the leg that i grabbed lol after about week and half it had no legs sucked for him but after it ate a mandarin blue hippo and powderblue tang i had enough

Not when I bought the rock for the Gsp

Back
Top Bottom