Sand - Help..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AH-99p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I understand that once you have your sand in place its difficult to change, so i want to try and get this right the first time round..!

Having a look around the gallery on here, everyone seams to have white sand in their aquariums... my local fish shops sell what they call "coral sand", this isn't the crushed coral... its sand, but rather than being white, its more... yellow?

Will this look naff, i can't seam to find any examples of people with a yellow type sand in their aquarium.

TIA,

AH-99P

It is actually quite normal for the dry sand to take on a yellowish gray color. It will normally look a nice whitish cream once placed in the tank with water.

Cheers
Steve

My dry sand has a yellow tint to it in the bag. When i dried some out it turned white. In the tank once it cleared up its a nice white color. So like steve-s said once in your tank you should be good :)

Color isn’t as important as making sure you buy aragonite sand. Mine (CaribSea) is slightly yellow even when placed in the water. Some people have black aragonite sand too. The main reason you want aragonite sand is because it acts as a buffer to help maintain the high ph/alk that SW fish require and because it dissolves over time and adds beneficial things (calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, etc.) to your water.

Back
Top Bottom