seahorses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willowthepoet

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was at my LFS the other day and they had a couple tiny seahorses. That made me decide I want to start up a sw tank. I'm planning on getting a 29 gal setup (was gonna do fw discus, but if it's doable to do sw, I'll do that), but what else would I need?

Is that an appropriate size for seahorses? Would it be wise for a SW beginner to get them, or get something else to start with? (I can wait... for a while :lol: )

Can anybody give me a rough guesstimate as to cost? (This is most important as I'm somewhat low on money and had only budgeted for fw.)

I'm not sure about the tank size, BUT seahorses are not only supposed to be difficult but you would have to keep them in a species only tank with few exceptions (I've read that mandarins can be kept with them but that's a whole other difficult situation). Anyway, I don't think a seahorse tank is the best bet for anyone's first SW tank...

SW is an expensive hobby and honestly you're really going to want to do it right. The best thing to do is read everything you can and make smart decisions from the get go. You may want to do a 29 fresh while you investigate setting up a SW tank down the road. A 29 gallon really limits your choices and the bigger the tank the better...I started with a 29 initially intending to do a fresh tank and changed on the fly and just upgraded to a 75 gallon. Had I gone into this having done more research I could have saved myself a lot of money and aggravation...

Seahorses are tricky to keep but as technology and breeding progresses they are getting easier. The first step to ensuring success is making sure you have Tank Bred and Tank Raised stock. These animals have been raised in captivity and trained to take both live brine shrimp and frozen mysis shrimp. They dont need a tank exclusively to themselves, and a tank with clownfish and other small, non aggresive fish can house 1 or 2 small sea horses. Do remember though that any fish can out compete a sea horse for food, and using a turkey bastor and frozen mysis can ensure your horse is eating.

If you can keep the water quality up to par and cope with the feeding, tank raised sea horses are not impossible to kepp.

Technicly this is in VA.

8100 Wolftrap Rd, Vienna, VA 22182

The entire washington metro area is half MD and half VA and given I am orgionally from MD I seem to refer to anything in that general area as being in MD.

Back
Top Bottom