Setting up a 100 to 125 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there... Right now I have a 12 gallon cube and I'd like to upgrade BUT I had a few question before I spend all this cash!

Mainly, I'm concerned with the weight of the tank. I was looking into getting a 125 gallon aquarium (72 x 18 x 20). I did the math and when it's fully stocked and setup it could weight from 1800 to 2000 lbs! That's heavy! Even with the large footprint. I live in an old prewar apartment building in New York City. The floors seem very sturdy. They don't creek. They're wood but they have bowed considerably. It's an old building. I'm on the 4th floor. Should I be concerned? Should I go with a smaller tank? 100 or 75 instead?

Lastly, I was curious... I was looking at glass aquariums (All-Glass) or maybe an acrylic aquarium (Tenecor)... I'm going to be setting up a reef... I was looking at MH lamps but I've been told by Tenecor that they reccommend putting MH lamps at least 12 inches away from the surface of the tank as to avoid warping the aquarium. Is this really true? I was hoping to go with a CoralLife Pro fixture with feet... or a Current USA Outer Orbit Satelite fixture...

Otherwise, I guess I could do PC instead of MH... If I go acrylic.

Also... Acrylic is a lot lighter and stronger than glass. Has anyone had any horrible experiences with acrylic in reef setups? Scratches etc?

Thanks for the advice guys!

I'll bet the "super" will tell you what you can and can't do. My bet is about a 40g tank max.

The "super" :roll:. Am I watching too much TV or is that the way NY'ers refer to the building manager. :wink:

Plus, if they're already bowing....

Tenecor that they reccommend putting MH lamps at least 12 inches away from the surface of the tank as to avoid warping the aquarium.

Wow, I would have never thought of that. Very good point.

Definitely ask the building management.

a 125 with what you are describing... i would be very concerned their. something smaller i would say.

What about 100 gallons? Or should I do 75? I don't really want to go below 75. Thoughts?

IMO, if you decide to go big but don't want too much weigh on the floor, go with a 55 or a 75. They are the bare minimum for tangs and some other cool, active fish.

acrylic cost more, scratches easy and retain more heat. And if the company says it will warp, it WILL. IMO not worth the money... Do I have one, no but I have seen a few and they all have scratches and it looks like crap.

Back
Top Bottom