Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joel2011

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks, I recently added a strawberry dotty to my tank and he murdered and ate my cleaner shrimp! (I have since read that they have a liking for them, wouldn't have got him if I had known that then). So, my clean up crew is now a little low in number. Can anyone recommend a shrimp that might be ok with the dotty. I have a lot of soft coral, so it needs to be reef safe as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

I wouldn't trust that Dottie with any shrimp that wasn't dangerous enough that it might kill the Dottie. I think any friendly shrimp will be toast.

It's such a shame because the dotty is so beautiful, but at the same time I know how valuable the shrimp are. Not even a coral banded shrimp??

Joel2011 said:
It's such a shame because the dotty is so beautiful, but at the same time I know how valuable the shrimp are. Not even a coral banded shrimp??

I think he would eat him. Expensive snack. Reefs are full of compromises.

Hmmmm, back to the drawing board. Thanks for your help though.

Now I'm paranoid. I have a 1" long purple dottieback and a big coral banded shrimp. Shrimp is much bigger and lives on the other end of the reef, so maybe he will be okay. Dottieback hides quite a bit as my even bigger royal gramma kicks his butt now and then.

My dotty has a right attitude, quite funny really as his facial expression says it all! Beautiful coloured fish though.

Back
Top Bottom