Silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can I use this to install the baffles on my sump
I always use an aquarium safe silicone . That may be safe but the possible damage to livestock isn't worth the few bucks saved. Best to ere on the side of caution.

I always use an aquarium safe silicone . That may be safe but the possible damage to livestock isn't worth the few bucks saved. Best to ere on the side of caution.

I agree go to the lfs couple bucks more is worth the peace of mind.

GE 100% silicone is safe to use. It has to be 100% silicone and contain no mildew inhibitors. Generally the window and door is free of them but read all the small print, if it contains it then the label will saw so. It's normally found in the kitchen and bathroom silicone.

Yea I don't see anything about mold inhibitors. But it does say "not for use below water lines or in aquariums
Lol "Here's your sign." Jk it may work but like I said are the few bucks saved worth gallons of SW on your floor? Even if the water does no damage to flooring or furniture, you're likely to leak more $$$ in salt water if a seal lets go than you're saving.

Lol "Here's your sign." Jk it may work but like I said are the few bucks saved worth gallons of SW on your floor? Even if the water does no damage to flooring or furniture, you're likely to leak more $$$ in salt water if a seal lets go than you're saving.

"Here's your sign" it's to install the baffles not reseal the tank.

The reason they say not to use below water lines is due to liability reasons. If something was to happen they are covering their butts to avoid any fallout. This silicone is aquarium safe and lots of people have used it for aquariums. I personally have on a few occasions and it's fine. If you still don't believe me do a google search on "aquarium safe silicone" or "GE silicone aquarium safe" and I don't know where your from but where I live the money saved is not a few bucks it's more like $20 and considering that the ge is 4 dollars that's a huge percent increase.

The space between may be more of a product of how much space you need to do the assembly, than what you think would be ideal. Personally, I would want enough space to be able to clean in between. As to the use below water of silicone, it's primary use is an all weather caulk, not an adhesive or sealant for aquariums, hence the disclaimer.
Up here in Canada, we have several options of house brands that say aquarium safe on the label and are a little cheaper than the GE. The Home Hardware brand comes in at 3 tubes for $10. It is more likely to be a rebranded tube of GE I, than not (or possibly made by Dow). Regardless, I would be surprised if something similar isn't available in the US.

Ok so a 2" space would be easier to get into to clean

When I built mine I put about 1-1/2" between baffles. Also put the middle baffle in then put the baffles on either side. Trying to get in to silicone can be tricky. Also I found it easiest to install the baffles with the tank on its side otherwise gravity will pull your middle baffle down, assuming your doing a bubble trap that is.

I only used 4 baffles 2 on it side. Went with about 1 1/4" between the two baffles. Other then my poor chaulking skills it turned out pretty good

I only used 4 baffles 2 on it side. Went with about 1 1/4" between the two baffles. Other then my poor chaulking skills it turned out pretty good

Ya my sump has silicone gobs all over. It works which is what matters. You gonna have a fuge section?

"Here's your sign" it's to install the baffles not reseal the tank. The reason they say not to use below water lines is due to liability reasons. If something was to happen they are covering their butts to avoid any fallout. This silicone is aquarium safe and lots of people have used it for aquariums. I personally have on a few occasions and it's fine. If you still don't believe me do a google search on "aquarium safe silicone" or "GE silicone aquarium safe" and I don't know where your from but where I live the money saved is not a few bucks it's more like $20 and considering that the ge is 4 dollars that's a huge percent increase.
It was a joke. Aquarium silicone runs 9-10 bucks a tube. Good job

Back
Top Bottom