Slight problem with nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have this 20xh tank. That I have had up and running for a few months. It does have some corals some inverts and just a few fish in it. Not even close to being over stocked at all. I did overfeed alittle b/c I was trying to figure out how to feed my sun polyps but I ensured that I did regular water changes of anywhere between 10-20% (and I do gravel washes).
So my nitrates seem to stay at around 40, which is borderline for being bad. I have another tank that also has a nitrate level of 40 but that is fish only so it never really concerned me. This tank concerns me. Today I did a 20% and I just tested the water and it is still at 40. Why is it not going down after my water changes is there anything I can do. Oh the filtration is one of those eclipse hoods.

Thanks
Christina

water source: tap or R/O?
if tap water, test it for nitrates.

how old is your test kit? anything over a year old shouldn't be trusted on a saltwater tank, and should be replaced.

What type of filtration are you using? If you are depending on anything but LR and/or LS for you biological filtration you will always be battling nitrates as they can not do denitrification.

Back
Top Bottom