Something stuck in anemone mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLeggedHermit

Aquarium Advice Freak
Noticed this odd chunk of something sticking out of an anemone. Been there a few days. nem doesn’t seem stressed or anything. Took the pic when it was shrunk a bit so I could get a clear shot. It usually has nice filled out look with bubbles extended.

Attachments

• 346F4D5B-A7F4-43A3-B620-A1AB62558637.jpg
    346F4D5B-A7F4-43A3-B620-A1AB62558637.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 49
My first thought was a chunk of fish food. I saw it catch some fish pellets the other day.

Anemone will eat anything that falls in. A piece where people get into trouble, as they think the photosynthetic anemones need to eat, and end up feeding much too large piece of food. It ends up being stressful and counterproductive, as usually what we try to feed an anemone doesn't provide as much energy for them as what it takes for them to actually digest the food.
The other reason anemone have issues with their mouths is stress. When stressed they will 'vomit' up their insides, open their mouths to indicate stress, and other such things. Might be that we are in this territory. But color and extension looks good. Have there been any changes recently? How long have you had it? Can you tell us more about what is going on in the system?

It looks more like this usualy. I just angled the rock he seems to like so if it is food and is just a bit too heavy a chunk to spit up easily, it should roll off his disk maybe. Also he’s alone on that side of the live rock. He is new to the tank tho. Maybe that’s the source of the stress

Attachments

• 1FAB6FDE-3685-4AC9-A345-C46BEDCAACE2.jpg
    1FAB6FDE-3685-4AC9-A345-C46BEDCAACE2.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 7F9959EA-CE5F-4E59-AE72-5451B659C8BB.jpg
    7F9959EA-CE5F-4E59-AE72-5451B659C8BB.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 45
Don’t you have a very weak light? That’s probably part of the problem. Food will not just “fall” off a healthy nem as they’re incredibly sticky. What’s your nitrate and phosphate at? If you hope to have success with a nem you’ll need to upgrade your lights ASAP as they’re high light demanding animals

Parameters are
PH - 8.2
Ammo/nitrite 0
Nitrate - 5 to 10ppm
Phos - 0ppm
DKH - 10 or 179ppm
Cal - 420ppm

Yep going to be heading to Dallas and returning this light and getting a new one sometime within this coming week.
I was also considering doing a 10% water change to lower the nitrates more.

Those nitrates are fine. If that is what it is like with weekly water changes, golden.
But, if you are upgrading from a weak light to one that will support an anemone, make sure you start off with that light being turned down VERY low. You can do just as much stress and issues going to an intense lighting system. Think walking outside at noon after a fresh blanket of snow with all your lights off in the house. If being from Texas doesn't help with this analogy, its snow blindness lol.

Is this a newly set up tank?

I agree this nem looks stressed. Lighting as mentioned, unstable environment, etc.

About 4 months old now. Which is a bit young I know. Also the chunk finally broke apart and floated away. Looks like it was pellet food.

Back
Top Bottom