Southdown Tropical playsand (Home Depot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hammerandy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, i just went to get some of the Southdown Tropical Playsand from Home depot. It's SKU# 578-819 and UPC 0-210026-16865-5. I stated that it was made from caribbean coral and stated on the bag not for aquariums. Now I know this is the same stuff that everyone bought at $5.00 per bag but has anyone had any problems. I didn't purchase this since I got this declousure on the bag.

Randy

Yup, that's the exact one i bought over the weekend. I would advise rinsing it since there is a lot of very fine sand in it. Unless you don't mind waiting a few days to see in the tank...

Don't rinse it. Your tank will clear up in a few days. if you rinse it you loose some of the finer particles. I'm sure I read on here that you are not supposed to rinse it.

Hey Randy,
I know we talked earlier, but I wouldnt rinse it either. I would get something to skim the bubbles off the top of your tank. Also, are you adding it to your exsisting tank or just the refugium?? If adding to the tank, I personally would put livestock in tubs outside your tank while the sandstorm settles. Run your skimmers, they will run overtime, you may even want to drop another couple in there. Also to minimize the storm, there are several suggestions.
1) if you empty tank. put sand on bottom, cover it with a bag and than add water, preventing you to stir tank up too much.
2) if you dont, put sand in another bag, cut the corner out and submerge bag and squeese to bottom.
3) give me a call one night and we will knock it out together if you need a hand

Back
Top Bottom