SPS soft coral questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am planning on adding considerable numbers of SPS to my tank. I currently have several leathers with only 2-3 SPS. I have heard tells of "chemical war" between these. What should I look for. Should I remove some of the leathers. I run pura filters, will this minimize the toxins? Should I even be concerned with this. In short :?: :?: :?: :?:

I would let the percentages dictate your actions. If you've got leathers at 5% of total final stocking then I wouldn't worry so much. If you've got a lot of leathers and it might be 40-60% of your final stocking then I'd say thin the herd. It really all depends on your priorities. If you really like the look of the leathers (and you want a lot of them) then your SPS will suffer and that will be ok because you favor the leathers. If you really like the look of SPS then keep your leathers to a minimum. If you want the flow-y-ness of the leathers without the poison then go with the LPS.

I don't think it correct to tell you "with the size of your tank you'll be fine" because at some point you'll have a fully stocked tank even for its size. If you get there and your percentages favor the leathers then you'll have problems no matter. I'm not sure how much carbon it would take (nor how often you'd need to change it) in order to keep the toxins at levels that wouldn't adversely affect your SPS; I don't think anyone can tell you that. You won't know until you're asking questions 3 years down the road about why this and why that...

Most people really serious about SPS wouldn't put anything else in the tank (shrooms, zoos, leathers...) because at some point the zoos will take over and grow right up the skeletins of the SPS, killing everything in their path. Same thing with shrooms, really. That's not so practical in a tank that size but it might help you to keep things in zones. Zones don't help with the leather toxins, but keeping their numbers down will.

I keep one leather in my 120 (320g water volume). The rest of the tank is SPS or LPS. My 65 (with its own water system totaling 75g) is heavy with leathers and shrooms and LPS. Each tank has its own personality.

I currently have all the leathers I planned on getting (6). I have 2 cat paws that are doing well and now growing polyps where it was broken in collection and shipment. 1 acro frag that is growing faster than anything in my tank (except xenia), and a cup. I had planed on future coral purchases to be mainly SPS and a few more LPS.

Just wanted to add in that leathers are not the only corals to worry about. Xenia is also know (depending on species) to be quite toxic to SPS corals. Export as much as you can through aggressive skimming, carbon, water changes etc. and the rest you will probably have to leave to careful observation over time.

Back
Top Bottom